4 speeds or 3 speeds

I'm wondering what tranny most are running. 4 speed or 3 speed

Sidecar
Bikes: -

4 speeds or 3 speeds

Post by Sidecar »

I'm wondering what tranny most are running. 4 speed or 3 speed?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: 4 speeds or 3 speeds

Post by DuoDave »

My bike has a four speed and I find the ratios pretty widely spaced on that. I would think that with a three speed, on a steep climb, you would have to rev the nuts off your motor before changing up. I guess you are thinking of using a three speed with reverse if you fit a sidecar. I'll be interested to see what the guys with three speeds think of them.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I'm running 4 also. I really wasn't sure what was stock from the factory without the hack.
I'm more curious as to what is on the original "Early" Pans.
I think my 4 is spaced quite nicely also. Too tall for the hack though. I'd be in third all of the time I think.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Four speed gearboxes were stock on '48 pans. Three speed and three speed with reverse were available as options. You could fit a smaller gearbox sprocket to lower your gearing, but you will know more about that side of things than I do. I have only tried riding a sidecar outfit once, and it scared the crap out of me!
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Although '39 OHVs were equipt with a 3-speed, (whew whut a mistake!,.. and ignoring earlier VLs, and 45's and such), only big twin sidecar units were issued with 3-speeds for other years, and nearly always with a reverse.
My personal opinion, after a quartercentury of sidehacking, is that you would have to be severely impaired to require a reverse. (If so,.. I offer my respectfull regret.)
Otherwise, to sacrifice a forward gear for any other reason would not make sense.
Even my diminuitive wife can push her hack back out of the garage without distress. An we ain't no spring chickens.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Cotten,

You anwered the question I was wondering about. More forward gears is better!!
I farted around with reverse on the Ural's only to amaze people. It's hard as hell to "fly the chair" going backwards !!!!
If you ain't got reverse, you just gotta pay more attention on your parking. I learned that real quick on my dresser anyway.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

In addition, the reverse gear is way too "tall" from my experience. One must feather the clutch to avoid full power, or it sends you into a backwards wobble that is very hard to control. If it were controllable, you could easily do 40 mph!

Kinda dangerous, actually.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”