Oil deflector transmission

Demoman

Oil deflector transmission

Post by Demoman »

I am taking apart my 64 FLH and on the transmission mainshaft the previous owner cut off the oil deflector. It looks like he could not get to the nut on the shaft and decided this was the way to reach it. I put a new one on and now the inner primary does not seem to fit right.
Do I need the oil deflector and if so does it fit behind the inner primary or inside the the inner primary hole when the primary is installed and the chain is adjusted?

Thanks

Steve
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Oil deflector transmission

Post by VintageTwin »

The deflector goes behind the big (neoprene sealed) main shaft nut. On top of the trans sprocket. It is a '39 part and was put there to keep oil leaking from a worn main shaft bushing, from draining on to clutch drive and fiber plates. Belt drives don't need the slinger, but do need an oil sealed "Duo-nut". Chain primarys need the slinger, in my opinion.
Demonman, why don't you register? We are trying to pump up the membership to break the 1000 mark. Thanx
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The deflector large end lip should be inside the cover. I'm not sure about a 64, but on a 59 the back two bolts holding your inner primary have springs and cotter pins on the bolts. If they are bolted directly to the mounting tabs, you will eventually crack these tabs on the inner cover. I have seen people run without the deflector. I would not recommend it. I think Plumber covered things pretty well.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Neoprene seal on a '64? On a nut?
That's modern aftermarket stuff: Beware that the "supernuts" often interfere with the clutch hub boss before '65, unless lathe-cut. If used on a '65 and later gear, the OEM seal should be removed.
The purpose of the deflector was to spin oil from the main drive gear back into the primary. If you run a '65 and later gear with a seal, it is unnecessary,, except if you ever might run in the rain.
If you must eliminate anything for clearance, eliminate the lock tab and use Loctite.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

The lock tab....with the "hunter tang"? How are you tightening the hub nut. By hand? Not with a "butterfly" air tool. You could run the hub too far onto the mainshaft. The tang on the (three finger) lock tab registers in the hub keyway slot. Maybe some mechanics don't use it and maybe not the "L" piece either, that goes in any one of the the main drive gear channels registered in any single slot of the mainshaft spacer.... on Belt drives. But, I trust the hunter tang and 70 ft. lbs of torque when assembling the clutch hub to the mainshaft. Me only though.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

On a tin primary the oil deflector is a little larger than the hole in the primary, You don't have to take off the inner primary to change all this, So the question where does it go? it would go on the inside of the primary, and I'd run it, you might have a funky inner primary to have had to cut it off and it also not fitting right.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

My opinion is that you need it unless you have a belt. Then you won't need it. The Duo-Nuts are different mfg. than the Super-Nuts.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,I had to shorten the slinger 1/8" as it hit the back side of my clutch hub. All is well now, as this was a problem on mine for years, and quite annoying as it would not always do the rub. Years ago I put on the supper nut, the one with the seal and O-ring on the inside .Red lock tight with no lock tab, To tighten up, out comes the impact gun ;D
mbskeam
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I agree with both of ya'll I had the noise problem and I also think you don't need it with a belt. But those super nuts or whatever that says it stops the leak don't work cause what I think gets messed up is the case where the oil seal goes, it must lose shape and oil leaks out no matter what. I put "red stuff" don't remember the name but some kinda of bearing seal and it did help a lot but it would still, eventually, leak out that area anyway. But I don't think I have ever heard of somebody shortening it. I'll put that in knowledge bank........thanks
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

How many ft. lbs. do you get out of that impact wrench. "Butterfly"impact wrench has the highest setting at "8", I think that is 45 ft. lbs. tightening and 70 ft. lbs when loosening. I have the specs on the butterfly out in the shop.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Oil leakage occasionally comes past the spacer drive key and gearsplines if the nut loosens, tranny is overfilled, sits for extended periods, etc., so a little sealer under the nut doesn't hurt if your particularly anal.
It was this oil that the outer o-ring on the Duo-Seal stupor nuts was intended to retain.
The only other place oil can seep is out of the end of the drive gear, which only had a "slinger" groove, or reverse thread cut into the bushing, to throw oil back into the tranny....until the '65 end seal was produced.
This is the oil that the deflector was intended to keep within the primary cover.
The stupor nuts have the end seal built in, but they were intended to replace the '65 seal, as they protrude into the gear. The original seal must be removed. They will not work with a pre-'65 gear at all, as there is no counterbore for it.
So basically, the sealed nuts are a late-model bandaid.
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

You'll want a '65 main drive gear (all AM drive gears are recessed for the 12013A seal) to run a belt primary.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, what i forgot to say was that before i put on sprocket, i fill splines on tranny with rtv sealer then put on sprocket then a thin coat of sealer then the super nut that DOES work.my nut has o ring groove cut into face of nut and the outer seal that the main shaft goes thru. the andrews 4th gear also has the late model seal and this combo gives me leak free set up ,12000 miles and no problems. unless u count the time i filled it a wee bit to much. and they will leak for sure.
mbskeam
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

Cotton is right about the back of the clutch basket hitting the nut. You can forget faceing it in a lathe unless you have about a $100 worth of carbides to throw at it. Mine was harder than the gates of hell. A grinder did it in a jiffy (ouch!) One has to wonder if the nut is actually stopping the oil or the sillycone the instructions have you put on it.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, my nut must be some odd ball one as it does not have this problem. I think it was made about 15 years ago. If I remember right it about 3/8 thick with a hole bored for a seal, and Oring on back . I have heard of what you guys are saying but have not seen it for my self . it must be a diff nut that i have than a super nut.and with a impact gun , butterfly etc. foget trying to get a tourqe reading as there are to many varables. as for my way some might not like it , but it works for me. ;D
mbskeam

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”