How to polarize generator

zippo

How to polarize generator

Post by zippo »

can someone tell me how and if i need to polarize a generator that has a generator mounted regulator.does this need to be done just when the gen. has been taken out or any time the batt.has been out.
sleeper

Re: How to polarize generator

Post by sleeper »

Zippo, need more info, Is this a regulator that bolts on the Gen. "End" like Cycle Electrics??
Or on top like stock would be??& mechanical ??
zippo

Post by zippo »

its on the end of gen. made by franks elec.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

Red wire on Franks to POS on Battery, Run a lead to each look for spark and make sure Bat is hook into system. If you haven't disconnected system don't have to polarize If generator disconnected from system do it anyway...Good Luck

Hey Zippo Join the Club!!!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

zippo, weezeo is right !! Join the club. No personal info necessary.
Where else can you get good info & some laughs & talk gears with a bunch of gearheads.. ;D & even post some pics of your scoot!!! It don't get any better..
my 4 cents.... inflation ;)
zippo

Post by zippo »

thanks for the info.does this need to be done every time the battery is unhooked?i have not put the gen. back in yet.i want to check the bearing.it seems to drag a little.i changed the oil tank out when i started it up i heard more than the usual wine.thought it came from the gen. thats why i took it off.thanks again for your help.i have let this one set too long.time to get it back on the road.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

NO just when the generator is unhooked and out of the system........
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

If the battery is un-hooked, the generator IS out of the system!
Often a generator will keep its polarity, but it is prudent to polarize any time there is a discontinuity in the system. Even if a groundstrap loosens, but doesn't come off. With a mechanical regulator, that can start the contacts to cycling and burning quickly. SolidState units are more forgiving, but not always.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Cotten, the Solid-state reg's like "Cycle Electrics Never need polarizing. Right? It would seem that they do.
Learn something new everyday.. ;)
shaker

Post by shaker »

that my be my prob i have been polarizeing my solid state reg, hot wire to A rmature ,it is cycle ele on end of gen , if i put the machanial back on it will mount on the coil blocks, and cover up my new stainless coil cover
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The CycleElectric separate solid-state regulators come with a card that instructs to polarize them.
I have no familiarity with the end-mounts (toooo ugly for me! Plus they often interfere with footclutches.)
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

The instructions say to polarize the solid state end-mounts also. (At least my cheap-ass CCI unit did)
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I have had the battery out and not polarized. It probally is wrong No it is wrong but it came out OK for me , do it anyway, Sorry listen to Cotton He does this for a living I am just a hobbyist.
kell

Post by kell »

Simply put, "polarization," or flashing the field coils, induces enough magnetism in the iron slugs inside the field coils so the charging can get started. Mostly, it's not necessary because the slugs retain some magnetism even while the bike's not running.
I don't know about the Franks but in general the way to flash is by grounding the F terminal and touching the A terminal with +12 volts for an instant. You could do it longer than that but there's a catch: when you do this, current flows not only through the field coils, but also through the armature. The armature has a very low resistance and will conduct a lot of current when you put direct battery voltage on it. So you have to keep it short and sweet.
I use a solid state regulator and I never bother to polarize the generator after disconnecting it. Not doing so hasn't caused me any problems.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

kell, I have used solid state regs & never polarized & have had no problems, either.
With a mechanical reg. Yes, Polarize.

Return to “Generator”