Transmission parts, whats good and whats not

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Transmission parts, whats good and whats not

Post by fourthgear »

I am going to rebuild my 1954 trans. and its been twenty to twenty five years since I did one of these (sent them out , must of got lazy ) . I used to use only HD parts before , whats good out there and whats not ? I've read that some of you don't like Andrews , I thought they were industry std , has it changed that much? Any one deal with RevTec at all ? Any good . I know I will get some good and experienced answers here for sure. I plan to replace every thing but the cases of coures.
Plain

Re: Transmission parts

Post by Plain »

Fourthgear:

I have long experience with Andrews gears, and swear by them. Others swear at them. Andrews is what I typically use on a rebuild. About a year ago I installed a full RevTec gear set in a 4 speed box. So far, excellent results during the build and during the running. However, no long term experience to say that they are as good, or better, than Andrews. I find anything by Andrews or Jim's to be solid.

Aftermarket Taiwan crap has been just that in my experience. From kicker parts, to bushings, they have just been substandard. It is hell to buy a bushing that as delivered has a bigger ID than the worn out wallowed out one that you are trying to replace. My opinion, if you do not buy from Andrews, Jims, or RevTech then go up to nosparts.com and purchase OEM. And Tom up at nosparts has been excellent to work with.

There are some really excellent transmission rebuilders that hang out on this board. If you don't have all of the tools needed, or or not really looking forward to the job, you might consider sending it to someone like Jack_Hester. You will find him highly rated and I would listen closely to his recommendations.

Plain
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Plain
I will probably use Andrews parts , after reading some of the threads here , I did not see much on complete trans rebuilds and I read alot of them here to see what some of you have possibly said about this subject , unless I missed something( most likely) I have no problem rebuilding a 74 tranny , I just have not messed with them in years. Like I said I'll be replacing every thing but the cases, I was wondering about the RevTec because the have the 2.60 complete close ratio gear set and I may go that way for that reason. Thanks for the come back on this I can use all the input I can get ,as always . This is a great forum!
Plain

Post by Plain »

Fourthgear:

Press on, my man. Rebuilding trannies is fun. The year old RevTech four speed rebuild has caused NO problems, and it was the complete 2.60 gear set that you are apparently looking at. Got another friend with a five speed RevTech running behind a RevTech 100 CI engine. Sucker shifts like a dream and there have been no problems with it. And, he really pours the horses to it.

Plain
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Plain -

Thanks for the kind words. I'm slow getting back up to speed, from the accident. But, making headway. I'm up in Pittsburgh (from home in N. Carolina) on business. Looks like I'll be here, with the exception of Thanksgiving, until the middle of December. Then, I can catch my breath and get back in the shop. I opened an account with Eastern MC Parts, this year, in S. Carolina. I really like their shafts, and as engines and transmission are all I build anymore, they are a one-stop shopping for me. Been using their parts for years, through other suppliers. But, I'm glad to get a direct account with them, as the costs are lower on my rebuilds. Which means, the customer gets a break from retail. I don't keep an inventory of parts on hand, and order as per job. My labor is all that I make on the work, as I mark the parts up just enough to cover shipping.

FourthGear -

If you are willing to do the work yourself, get an OEM shop manual, or a reprint. WhiteHorsePress.com usually carries them at a good price. So do a lot of the dealers on eBay. Get an OEM parts manual, or reprint, as the exploded views are a must for seeing what goes where. There will be some of the work, like installing and sizing new bushings, that you may farm out to a machinist. But, you can do a really good rebuild yourself, if you are mechanically inclined. Engines are another story, as many specialty tools are needed to do a rebuild properly. I had the good fortune of being shown how to rebuild them, when I was young. And, stock components are all that I build. I have rebuilt modified units. But, they can be pricey, as matching the non-stock items is a real challenge. Adds to the labor. I encourage riders to do as much of their own work, as they dare. And, spend lots of time by email, helping when I can. To carry Plain's statement one step further, building in general is just plain fun. In my case, it became a lifelong passion. 'Nuff said. Have a good one.

Jack
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Andrew J. Hester
Hay thanks for the reply, sorry to here about your misfortune , but good to here you are ok . I have been restoring older HD s for myself and other people( no money ,except for beer any way ) for about thirty years and yes it more like a passion . I do know my limitations and have no problems passing the stuff along I can not do to true professionals. This is the second Pan I have had in them years and am loving every min. of it . Nothing like a ground up rebuild. I guess I passed to much stuff along I could have done myself all these years, it is fun too.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”