Transmission primary kit or parts

cmashark

Transmission primary kit or parts

Post by cmashark »

i am new to the forum and the panhead world....i recently bought a 61 panhead project without a trans. i do have a new revtech 6 speed trans for a softtail for the 90-99years. does anybody know of a company that makes a primary kit or parts for this combo?

chris
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Transmission primary kit or parts

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

I would like to install a 6 speed on my 53 but I studied it for a while and really could not find a way to do this easily with my combination. Hang in there and somebody will come thru with a answer of some sort. Ed
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Hey man! I did this conversion with a 5-spd and a tin primary. I used a TechCycle kit (they are in Philly, PA) and it is a difficult conversion. I think it was worth it, but you will have to be creative in how you mount your trans as it will keep moving. I have a 90" S & S pan and I have had to have some creative fabrication to keep the trans in one spot! If you run an open belt drive it is no big deal, but if try to use the tins, you will need to modify the tins and rechrome them. If you are using a rigid frame, I doubt you will need 6 gears cuse by the time you get to 75 mph you will be seeing double anyway!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Man, if you're vibrating bad enough to see double at 75mph. You better check your motor mounts & driveline.
Something's not right.
cmashark

Post by cmashark »

actually i got the 6 speed at a real good deal and the panhead just fell in my lap. i was planning on building a custom bike....it's a 61 flh motor and it needs to gone through. with what i paid for the motor, frame, and three huge boxes worth of parts...i could still rebuild the motor and have spent less than buying a 96 inch s&s evo motor. i am glad that i have my dyna to ride while i figure out what to do with this pan project. it was just soooo good of a deal i couldn't pass it up. as for doing 75 on a rigid, i should be fine with a 6 speed as long as the virginia beach expansion joints don't throw me off!!!

chris
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

You will have a blast putting that together! If you go with an open belt drive, you will have no problem with the 6 speed using the TechCycle kit. Go to their web site-http://www.techcycle.com/ and check it out!
cmashark

Post by cmashark »

that's is probably where i will go to get me a primary set up. i went to there prices page and the prices were nice too.

chris
55FL
Bikes: '55 fl

Post by 55FL »

Curious how you plan on running the 6 speed with the pan. Do you plan on installing a late model motor sprocket shaft to match up with the late midel trans ? Or is it possible to replace the mainshaft in the trans to the early length ?

John
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Good point 55H! My pan is a late model S & S so it worked with the late model 5 spd. Check with the Tech Cycle guys and see what they suggest as they sell a lot of these kits.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Offset tranny plate gets the job started.
cmashark

Post by cmashark »

i was thinking about a belt drive and messing with a off-set tranny mount with no tins connecting the motor to the trans. i know it's "modified", but what other option do i have without really blowing my budget? i am trying to build the entire project, including rebuilding the motor, for less than $10,000. not counting what i spent on the panhead stuff, i have 4500 invested. and that is the frame, wheels and tires, a set of calipers, rear fender, springer frontend, forward controls, gas tank, head light, and trans. the panhead stuff consisted of: the motor, another frame, another gas tank, wheels and tires, 3 extra cam covers, a set of primary tins, 7 clutch covers, rear fender, drum brake set-up's and like 5 different brake lights.

chris

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”