Generator problems

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Generator problems

Post by panfreak »

I'll try and get to the point- I left for a 30 mile ride yesterday, and noticed my gen light on. Should have turned around but sunny weather and denial made me keep going. Started to get dark, I reached down and turned the lights on, there was a NOTICEABLE jolt (is this normal?) A couple miles later, as you would guess, she eventually missed a few times and died. Feeling like an idiot (I was already headed home) I checked my headlight, almost dead. Luckily I was at a buddies house, I left my bike there, went home and charged my battery to return after dinner. The ride home was uneventful, but I did notice that she was running really smooth compared to half dead battery, in hindsight that should have been an indicator trouble was looming. I don't have a multimeter but my neighbor does and we are going to check gen output tonight. I now have a couple questions:
1. Is the jolt on the system normal when turning on lights while running
2. I was told I didn't need to flash my gen with my new electronic relay. True? because I didn't and I'm thinking this may have been my problem.
I only have 80 miles on her so far and I'm still working out some bugs. Runs smooth, but first I dealt with fuel line too close to cylinder, now this. I look forward to that long, trouble free ride, I know I'm almost there, so while I risk sounding like an idiot, can anyone offer electrical advice?
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Generator problems

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
is your gen light still on? If it is try to flash it (arm. to batt )but I think I would disconect the regulator. I do this on mine if I'm doing elect. work. This can save you from smokining the electronic reg. output on the gen should be 13.5-14.5V that is if you are running a 12V system.
The jolt you felt , when you switch your ign. is the power droping out for a split second when the contact bar switches positons.
Keep your eye on the gen. and oil lights and they will let you know if trouble looms around the corner.
mbskeam
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

MB,
Be patient with me, I'm not much of an electrician...

I borrowed a meter and took some readings to try and troubleshoot this problem. Before starting the bike my battery read 12.5V. When I started the bike, the reading dropped to 11.8V at the battery, didn't change when I revved it up a bit at all. I disconnected wires from generator, started her up, and read A terminal when F terminal was jumped to gen body: 18V. Briefly jumped F to A terminal, and A terminal read 1.7V.
I was told I would get roughly these readings when checking gen, but supposed to opposite. I don't get it. BTW I had flashed gen before starting all of this procedure. My guess would be regulator is hooped, but I am still confused by opposite readings?
Len.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Hey everyone,
I now know that my gen and reg are working fine. The problem is in my battery wire from reg to battery. I will find out where tonight. An automotive electrician told me I was incorrect in jumping A to F. He looked at all the readings I took from electronic reg and gen and told me they were fine, and where the problem was. FYI he told me that I shouldn't have to "flash" my gen everytime I work on my battery, it should only need doing once? This goes against my manual, but I've already proven I'm no electrician.
I am gonna leave this post up for all to read because although it reveals my shortcomings in the electrical dept, it is an example of what you gotta do with a 50 year old bike. Get your hands on it, figure it out, ask questions, and learn a few things. I could have taken it to a shop, but what would that have done? I would still be scratching my head if something went wrong again. Now I know a little more about my pan. I don't regret these setbacks at all, in fact, I love the feeling of accomplishment it gives me when I solve it myself. Damnit, I'm goin for a ride tonight ;D
Plain

Post by Plain »

Good work Panfreak! And enjoy the ride. I swear that I think that batteries were invented by the devil to drive men mad. It is always something with them, and except for a chosen few among us, DC electrics are just voodoo.
Worked on a friends RevTech 100 yesterday. Electronic ignition. At 11.9 volts on the battery that sucker quit dead. Nothing, nada, zip. If it is not at 12.3 or 12.4 there is going to be trouble.

Adios-----Plain BSM

Return to “Generator”