Rocker clutch: can it be adjusted

hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Rocker clutch: can it be adjusted

Post by hplhd »

hello, i will try to keep short and not confusing.lol my 64 has the rocker and a police shifter bolted to the down tube(ratchet top on tranny) i can't take off from a light or stop real gradual like on my 59 with the mouse trap eliminator. i guess what i mean is i can't feather the clutch and have a walking speed. i hate it in stop and go traffic. my question is, is it the nature of this setup or can it be adjusted out to get rid of the on or off feeling. i thought i saw something similar to this posted recently but could not find it. i hope this made sense, i know you guys can give me an answer. oh yea, this is prob the first time i have asked a question as i always just read and shoplift stuff off here. man i dig this site and all the help. i need as much as i can get cause i am never really happy with indi's work and want to do most off the stuff on my own with your help
kell

Re: Rocker clutch: can it be adjusted

Post by kell »

I don't use a rocker so I wanted to stay out and let somebody else answer. But there are a couple of things you might look at. Sometimes the steel clutch plates warp. That would cause your problem, and it only takes a tiny warpage so examine them carefully with a good straightedge or on a perfectly flat surface. Another thing, if you don't have a Ram Jett or similar retainer to keep your clutch basket from walking out, you should get one. Several people have posted on this board about how a Ram Jett (and there's another retainer brand I don't remember the name of) fixed their dragging clutch.
I just reread your post and it sounds like your clutch isn't actually dragging, but just engaging too abruptly. Like I said, I don't know about rockers so maybe somebody else will have a suggestion.
ned

Post by ned »

If you have the large spring on the rocker,take it off.this will turn it into a suicide clutch.You should be able to now have a better feel on the clutch.Also,it is more of a challenge riding.
ned

p.s. The mouse trap eliminator part has me confused.This is when your hand clutch cable goes straight to the bracket on your oil tank mount.
ned.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

I have read that wear grooves on the studs will cause hangups although I've never had this problem. I would clean plates very well while I looked at the studs, and also check to see if they are loose. If the plates slide back into place nicely without binding and are clean... have you tried playing with adjustment? I have backed off the friction nut on the pedal to give a better feel as well. It's gotta be simple.... I always just take everything apart to get my head around what the hell is going on. Sometimes this has gotten me into trouble at first, but I always come out with a great understanding of how something works. And it's a good oportunity to acquire any necessary tools needed to wrench your own bike.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks, ned i have 2 pans. i has the rocker and one has the mt eliminator. i knew i would confuse things.lol i havn't tried adjusting till i heard about if this is just how they are(rocker) when i bought it it was my first ever bike so i had nothing to compare it to. then i got a pretty good deal on a another pan but with a hand clutch(mt elim) and theres so much dif. i love riding the rocker it's just that stop and go shit where you have to pull up 5 feet at a time. i need to start messing with it and see if i can get it to start engaging sooner.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

It seemed to make my clutch engage a little better when I installed the spring plate or half plate on the outside. I little less grabby.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”