Generator question: regulator to battery 7.4 Volt

rich

Generator question: regulator to battery 7.4 Volt

Post by rich »

My pan runs 6v electrics....but when I took out the generator for cleaning it has 12v stamped on its body. Now I've been running this set up for some time, and all seems OK....from regulator to battery 7.4 volts and good amps...but I have this feeling that the genny may be causing damage. Do I check it or leave alone ? would a 12v genny blow the electrics with a 6v regulator ?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Generator question: from regulator to battery 7.4 vol

Post by fourthgear »

rich
My electrician says thats good for a six volt gen. and just because the case reads twelve may and I mean may be because some one just used a outer casing from a twelve volt gen.. He said if you were putting out twelve volts with a six volt reg. and bulbs you would be burning out all kinds of stuff, first would be the reg., are you having problems? I do not have any exp. with six volt in gen. , six or twelve they work the same way just diff. voltages. Is it a three brush ?
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

If you are getting 7.4 volts then you're doing SUPER...running a 6v and a regulator means it is a 2 brush...if you ran a relay then it would be a 2 brush...I have been running my same 6v system for 21 years now and the most I can get is about 6.6 to 6.8 volts...makes running at night interesting to say the least...I also think you have a 12 volt case with 6v guts...in short LEAVE IT ALONE!

Sorry mis spoke on last comment...volt regulator means 2 brush and relay MEANS 3 brush...sorry if any confusion. Skip
rich

Post by rich »

fourthgear & skip......thanks for your input, I suspected that all is OK, but it doesn't hurt to check with you guys....it is a 2 brush with regulator, and I've had no problems with bulbs or regulator. I was also very happy/surprised with the 7.4volts....so I'm definately gonna leave alone (apart for cleaning of course !)....I get 6.8v with my flatty and that is very interesting in the dark, not enough light to even attract moths 8-).
kell

Post by kell »

Rich, just curious, do you keep your battery in a horsehsoe oil tank.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yes its in a horse shoe tank.......the bike is stock restored '58 Glide FLH....
kell

Post by kell »

7.4 volts sounds a little bit high for a hot battery.
How often do you replace it?
Rich

Post by Rich »

kell....I fitted the battery new about 12 months ago. It doesn't drain down or give any problems....I can imagine a battery not lasting long at these charge rates once it starts to give up, especially sitting in a hot oil tank, but I guess while everything is in good order it will be fine...incidently my book states 7.4v as being on the money.....but thanks for making me think about it 'cos its another area to be aware of.

Return to “Generator”