Tranny rebuild advice

dirtydave

Tranny rebuild advice

Post by dirtydave »

Need some advise on rebuilding a 4 speed tranny.this does not look hard to do can a regular mechanicly inclined rider do this?how much should a rebuild cost? do i need any special tools?yea i have the manual just started to look in the tranny rebuild parts.just thought i would get some good advise from experts.any ideas will help.
56panman
Bikes: 56 flh in 58-64 frame
92 flhtc

Re: Tranny rebuild

Post by 56panman »

Hey DirtyDave, I'm by no means an expert but there are plenty of guys around here who are and I'm sure they'll chime in here shortly. Losts of old posts on this subject as well.

I did rebuild my first 4speed tranny last year. It's not a tough job and you should be able to do it. Just take your time and document things as you dis-assemble. A digital camera really helps.

As far as the cost it will depend on what needs to be replaced. I put in a speedo gear,new 3rd gear and bushing and replaced all the needle bearing for under $200.00. I say go for it.-Steve
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

I rebuilt mine a couple of winters ago. I put in a complete new gearset (RevTech). I did all the work myself except for:

1) it needed a new main bearing race so I had a local shop put that in and line-hone it to fit the new roller bearings/shaft.
2) I brought it back the shop after I had it all put back together to have them align the shifter forks

I second 56panman's suggestion about using a digital camera - take pictures of everything!

Here's a link to my rebuild http://www.57panhead.com/ProgRept2-1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
dirtydave

Post by dirtydave »

Well guess i should have my self clearer this is a basket case tranny that originaly came with my ride 15 years ago.been sitting on shelf since.used another a brother had.but need to rebuild it soon leaks and getting hard to shift.thought i would put back in the original.all gears shafts here need new bearings seals and?.i dont have a press not afraid to try one but dont want to do it twice.lost a good friend that helped me with the one i've been using for years.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

dirtydave
The job is more time consuming that difficult, I rebuilt mine with a complete Revtec gear set , but there are things that you will need that don't come with the full set . I used a complete set up because all the gears and there corresponding shifter clutches were to badly worn not to mention the shafts and bearings( I think I paid $ 750 for the complete kit of gears and shafts , bearings etc. ) . If you intend on replacing the main drive gear outer race , the trans. needs to be heated up in an over or some other form of it . I made the pullers and also adapted them to use as presses too. You may need a dial indicator to set the main shaft end play and the shims are not included in any kit, that goes for the counter shaft shims also .Almost all is covered in most of the manuals , if get stuck on something , theres plenty of experience at this sight to walk you thru it. Good luck .
dirtydave

Post by dirtydave »

Thanks for building my confidence.here we go.went trough it last night listed everything that was missing or needed replaced.going to order next friday.if i kit a wall you will find out because i'll be asking directions.thanks
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

DD!

Most of a tranny overhaul can be done on the kitchen table, but there are a couple of machine operations that occasionally present themselves.

The one that is most often overlooked (or done poorly) is replacement of the maindrive gear bushing. This is the long one inside of the sprocket driver gear.

If you plan to run a beltdrive, you might as well buy a whole new gear with an end seal.
But if you intend to maintain it as original, a new bushing must be pressed in and fitted. Most competent machine shops can hone or lathe-bore this to a spec'd fit, but ask that it be done with a sprocket, spacer, and nut torqued upon it. This distorts the bushing as if installed, and allows for a longer-lived and oil-saving fit.

....Cotten
dirtydave

Post by dirtydave »

Great advise. is there a difference in main drive gear and bushing for a chain than belt.what do you think would be chatged for letting a shop install the main drive gear bushing and sprocket?reading in the manual this needs to be done first anyway.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

look here also.......

Four speed trans tips

and like it has been said, the only thing is the main bushing that most cant do at home.

mbskeam
DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE »

Thanks going to check out small shop nearby to see what he will charge to do this.he already told me he would build it for 250.00 plus parts i hope i can do better than that doing a lotmyself thanks for help will get back to this soon.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”