Volt Tech 12v generator with end mounted regulator

haggis
Bikes: *

Volt Tech 12v generator with end mounted regulator

Post by haggis »

Hi Guys,
Just ordered a new 12v generator with end mounted regulator today from the 04 Vtwin book. Manufactured by Volt Tech, anyone heard anything about these .
Thing I liked the best was I'll only have one wire to hide! :D Haggis
Ps ....nice chrome body too...so I can throw away that piece of shit chrome cover what was wrapped round my old one!
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Re: Volt Tech generator

Post by Sidecar »

I've got a replica unit with the external regulator. I thought it puked, but it turned out to be the contacts in the regulator. Had to file and burnish them. No problems since then.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Never heard of "Volt tech". How many "brand names" has Tedd bought up??

V-TWIN has also offered CycleElectric products with end-mounted regulators, however, and they are of prime quality.

Personally, I avoid the endmount ugliness, and prefer CycleElectric's standard replacements of original design. They are more interchangeable with common replacement parts, whether OEM or hoo-flung-poo.

The advantage of CE's endmounts is that they have a protective feedback circuit to protect the armature from overheating. The disadvantage is just ugliness. Or interference with footclutch assemblies on some vintage models. Or with seatsprings on Indian models.

Any way you choose it, go for Cycle Electric if you want quality. Note also that your local independent dealer can get you a better price on CE products direct than the big distributors list them.

Support your local independent dealer!
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

The good thing about buying from an independent dealer is that you get to talk to someone that knows what you are doing. Have a blast with your Volt Tech haggis. I don't like Electric Frank's "look" either, but Cycle Products makes the good generator. The V-Twin cloth-covered wiring harnesses look alot better. They have shrink tube at the eyelets that earlier harnesses didn't and the flag terminals look like a deeper-wider crimp.
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Hi guys,
Thanks for the input...the main reason for going with the end mount reg' is to keep things clean, less wiring to hide on the hotrod.Kinda like the look of the finned reg' stuck on the end...plus its a chrome body...in this case chrome will get me home!
Bought nearly 90% of my parts thru an independent up here...if I told you the discount ..you wouldn't believe me and v-twin would cut his balls off!!! ;) Haggis
MUTT
Inactive member

Post by MUTT »

Hey guys. on my iron head sporty i had alot of regulator problems. everyone said to buy the end mount reg that it is alot better. is this true or just there thought?dont want the same problem on my pan. MUTT
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The bottom line on any generator application is that you must never attempt to charge up a dead battery by running it.

That overheats the armature, and fries everything.

The CycleElectric endmount unit protects against such stupidity.

But....If you are the type that just can't remember to shut off your ignition when you get to the next bar,...consider it to be an excuse for suicide if you decide to recharge the battery by leaving drunk anyway.
MUTT
Inactive member

Post by MUTT »

MY bike doesn't have enough chrome to hangout at the local bar. These yuppies around here buy 20.000 dollar bikes to ride from one bar to the next and compare chrome.Most of them never been on open road.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

here's a question for you all:

I ordered the low output cycle electric generator, but was sent the normal (high?) output generator instead.
This generator is apparently spec'ed for a 7A battery or higher, rather than the smaller 5A batteries that are usually used for the 12V conversions.

Anyone think there'll be a problem running with it anyway, especially if I'm always driving with lights on in the city traffic (ie stop / start)?

Cheers,

S.
MUTT
Inactive member

Post by MUTT »

COTTEN I KNOW YOU JUST DIDN'T BEAT AROUND THE BUSH AND CALL ME STUPID did you?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Mutt!

I guess I was rude,....again,....Please do not take it personally, ....until the replacement armature fries!

A sulphated battery can do it as well, even if it shows a full charge. That's why a cheap load tester can be a good investment.

So it's preventative maintenance to buy a new battery every year, if the bike has been converted to 12v with a dinky battery. And the made-in-India 6v batteries should be watched closely as well.

And SSShovel:

The generators are all the same, it is the regulators that are either high or low output. The low output is specifically for applications where the battery is in a hot oiltank.(I requested the first CE102L regulators to be made as a special order.)

The problem is not extreme if you install the battery with an airgap around it, such as the commercial installation boxes allow. Note also that running with a constant headlight (as many States demand), or in a cool climate minimizes the overcharge as well.

The overcharging shortens a battery's life, but even under the best of conditions, a 12n-5.5a-3b battery should not be trusted for more than a season.
MUTT
Inactive member

Post by MUTT »

Hey cotton i was just shitting you. every time your mouth opens i learn
suicideshovel65
Multiple K models

Thanks once again Cotten.

I believe I have sufficient airgap, and do in fact ride with the lights always on here, so will stick with the item they shipped.

Will take your advice re the smaller battery too.

Cheers,

S.
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I went thru Yuasa's web site to find the 12 volt battery with the most amps that would still fit in my oil tank. They don't index by size, so it was app by app until I found a few. This is one, http://www.yuasabatteries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has 85 cold cranking amps and is around $30 bucks at the local Jap bike dealer. They did have to order it, though.
suicideshovel65
Multiple K models

Thanks mate, don't think I'll have problems with availability over here! ;)

Cheers,

S.

Return to “Generator”