Generator overcharging

windy

Generator overcharging

Post by windy »

Description: On a highway run it will fry the battery real quick

Hi I hope someone may be able to help me . I have a 42wla that has been converted to 12V using a 12V generator & a custom chrome solid state regulator . It is putting about 14.3 Volts at 3 to 4 amps into the battery. On a highway run it will fry the battery real quick. The battery is a 12n5.5a-3b about 4" by 4" by 4" . Any Help would be great as I live in the austalian outback.
Thanks Allan.
harleydoug

Re: Generator overcharging

Post by harleydoug »

Be sure that the voltage regulator is solidly grounded. These regulators "dump" extra voltage to "ground" when they reach their specified output or the battery is fully charged. If the regulator isn't grounded properly, the excess will feed back and overcharge your battery. Of course any loose wire will do the same as a bad ground.
Remember, electricty isn't magic or voodoo. Look at it like water through a hose. A hole in any part of the hose will not allow it to get to where it needs to go, just like a bad connection. A kinked hose or broken wire shuts it off conpletely. Check all the connectons, even the ones at the battery and cables. I hope that this helps you.
Doug

Return to “Generator”