Tech. products electric starter for 1948-1964 Panhead

bibs
Inactive member

Tech. products electric starter for 1948-1964 Panhead

Post by bibs »

I have an electric starter set-up from tech. products that is made for 48-64 year panhead for sale....real nice unit
and....the belt drive complete goes with along with a chrome wrap around oil tank that holds an fxr type battery all are in excellent shape.the oil tank is the shorter type for a 4 speed frame.....um thinking 7-800$$ for the whole deal,I have several hundred more invested in it!!
if you,d care to e-mail me at harleyguy1953@comcast.net
we can talk a little more in depth....i,ll give you my phone number ;)
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Re: Tech. products electric starter

Post by Rammy »

Why are you selling this ? are you not happy with it? I have heard that the bracket to hold the starter is weak and starter moves all over ??
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

I am in the process of installing one in a swing arm frame. I have it to the point where I can turn the motor over with it. Still need to finish up a few things to be done. No problem with bracket being weak. It's solid. It mounts to the trans plate with a hefty bracket that Tech manufactures, also has a bracket to tie in the pinion end of the starter to the trans and another bracket on the kicker cover. There is some fitting that needs to be done that I think would vary from bike to bike. On a swing arm frame the bracket needs to be notched where it makes contact with the swing arm. I have had much help from people here on this board that have done this before and I really appreciate it. I should be done with it soon, will let you know how it works.
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

I made up a torque arm that attaches to the nose cone of the starter.....there,s a 3 bolt pattern there to take advantage of...it,s also where the rocking back and forth occurs,I used that pattern and made up a half round plate cut like a crescent with the 3 hole pattern...then I took a pc. of 3/8" rod welded it to the bracket 'bout 10" long and welded a small bracket end to the rod and to the frame.This has to be done with the starter in place, it holds the starter really tight with no rocking back and forth.....MAKE SURE YOUR TIMING IS SPOT ON!!! or she,ll buck!!!....I,ve since sold it and went back to kick start...got 'er set up proper and she starts on the 2nd kick cold!!!
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Started it up for the first time tonight with new Tech Cycle starter. I'm impressed.
It was a lot off work for this shade tree mechanic, but I got through it......... with some help.
This is a good deal on your starter for sale.
Just curious, why are you selling it?
bibs
Inactive member

Post by bibs »

Sorry it took so damm long to respond to your post.....I simply wanted to go back to what the bike looked like in 53.Yeah....there are times I wish I had the starter on the ole pan but she really starts easy once I find the sweet spot...there have been several times that she started on half a kick!!! and she never takes more than 2 kicks wet and 2 kicks hot to git 'er off!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”