Pan Transmission Question

59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Pan Transmission Question

Post by 59Panman »

Just curious,

Is it possible to take a stock 4 speed Pan transmission and convert it to a 5 speed and still retain the stock look :?:
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

If you are referring to using the same 4 speed case, then no....I do not believe there is enough room to put the 5th gear in it..requires a longer shaft....I believe someone is selling a 5 speed that looks similar to the original 4 speed, but I can't remember who...Skip
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

There was a topic in the old forum suggesting it's possible:

5 speed, electric start in a 4 speed frame
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Has anyone else done the 4 to a speed conversion as Billy the guest commented on? It sounds like a very inexpensive upgrade and engine saver to do this. Any comments?

The poster "Billy"; is this the same person as Sidecar?

Thanks,
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Billy and Sidecar are not the same
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Re: Pan Transmission Question

Post by PeterRytter »

ozwick wrote:Just curious,

Is it possible to take a stock 4 speed Pan transmission and convert it to a 5 speed and still retain the stock look :?:
Yes and no !!

its not possible to convert the transmission, but it is possible to buy a new 5 speed transmission that retains the stock 4 speed look but:

If your not the lucky owner of a 65 panhead you have to make some modifications. For the first you need to get hold of a 65 inner primary cover as you cannot run the tin inner primary on a 65 without cutting in it.
If you have an early engine case you need to machine a kind of spacer to fit the 65 inner primary cover to the engine.
Then you need to take your engine apart and replace your sprocketshaft with one that fits the long mainshaft on the 65 up tranny.

If you dont mind running with a 3" beltdrive i believe this is the fastest and cheapest way. Ive seen somewhere that you can get some adaptors for the sprocketshaft (then you dont need to take the engine apart). The only thing here is that you would need to put a bearingsupport on the transmission.

I hope it makes sense ....*SS*

In the years i have been building and repairing bikes i have learned that allmost anything is possible, the only limit is the law and the price !!
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

I could be wrong but... doesn't the 5in4 have the same 1:1 high gear? So, if you're wanting to do this in order to get an "overdrive" I don't think this will do it. It just gives you a an extra gear between 1st and high which may, or may not, help you much, depending on the kind of riding you do.

Post by Guest »

57pan wrote:I could be wrong but... doesn't the 5in4 have the same 1:1 high gear? So, if you're wanting to do this in order to get an "overdrive" I don't think this will do it. It just gives you a an extra gear between 1st and high which may, or may not, help you much, depending on the kind of riding you do.
Im pretty sure every "last gear" are always 1:1 !
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

The stock late model 5 speeds have the same 1:1 top gear, and 4th gear is the same ratio as 3rd gear in a 4 speed. They just divide the 1st-2nd into three seperate gears. What would be REAL nice is this setup from back in the early '80s made by LJ&R Ltd. in Denver, a four speed style kicker/electric case, ratchet top, with a 5th gear 1.28/1 overdrive! Cost in those days was $1000 for the complete new tranny. Wonder whatever happened to them...
tranny.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

So it sounds like a no on the stock transmission? I was hoping to retain the stock case and modify the innerds when it came time to pull the transmission to fix leaks.

Thanks!

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”