throwout bearing

Weedy
Bikes: 61 pan

throwout bearing

Post by Weedy »

hi all. in the semifinal stages of my rebuild of my 49 in a swingarm frame with a 4 speed and had yet another setback. while trying to start it after the fourth or so setback in as many weeks my kicker disengaged and i damn near hyperextended my knee! needless to say I was very unhappy and let the wall know it! found that the kicker would no longer engage and just swung threw. took off the back end of exhaust and the kicker cover and the throwout bearing fell out in pieces. ( the last couple of rounds of trying to start, which is a separate problem worthy of its own thread, something similar happened but corrected itself haha not. in my frustration I tried to ignore what the bike was telling me. me = dumbass). this was an aftermarket part and I found nothing to suggest it was a bad previous adjustment.. the rod looks perfect and so do the gears. this trans was on the bike when I had the accident that started this project. the clutch has not been used since the accident. the first question would be what do you think happened? I am clueless. but the better second question of this long winded post is what should I get? another aftermarket that has the potential to grenade like the last one or find a used oem? had a later style trans cover and am now thinking of going with the earlier pan style. would that change the type of throwout bearing? any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks tim
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: throwout bearing

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Post up and pic, the clutch push rod, what type of end does it have.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

The kicker gears and bushing can wear causing the kicker to slip or work poorly.
Original throw out bearings are better then reproduction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Knuckleh ... vT&vxp=mtr
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

thanks for the responses. still working on my 49 in a swingarm frame. here is my update and a followup question. found both shaft bushings worn so got new earlier pan cover. discovered that in old later cover I had lost the small oil level plug and had used a pipe plug. this plug went too far in so that arm for throwout bearing would hit it and not allow full throw with mousetrap (lots of clutch adj issues in past). installed new cover with new throwout bearing (friend had one) and went to adjust mousetrap. after screwing in adj rod for throwout all the way in ( never went that far before! lol) I tried to adjust the trap assembly to just past center. my problem now is that my rod appears to be a bit short. rod is 20" long. I would need a min of of 1" to 1 1/2" to have enough thread in eyelet to be sure it wont pull out. I looked in the vtwin replica catalog but only found the rod in their kit with no length. I looked in the kb but I get frustrated a bit looking in there not knowing exactly what some things are called. would anyone know where to get a longer rod? thanks tim
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I'd try Dennis Corso.

http://denniscorso.com/

Push the appropriate button on the right, then scroll down to P/N 36918-52 "Moustrap rod".
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

bigincher thank you for the info. just ordered the rod. will be here in a few days. one small step closer!
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

What makes you think that rod will be any longer than the one you have?

You shouldn't need a longer-than-stock rod.

Is the clutch lever on the transmission adjusted as shown in the manual?

Is the mousetrap mounted in the correct position on the frame?
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I only have two rods to measure, one is 18-1/2" long, the other is 22".
Pretty sure the longer rod is for a mousetrap.
Do me a favor, Weedy- when that rod comes in from Corso, would you mind letting me know how long it is?
Thanks.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Ah, so maybe Weedy has a rocker-clutch rod, when he needs a mousetrap rod. The mousetrap rod would be longer, judging by photos.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

awander wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:17 am Ah, so maybe Weedy has a rocker-clutch rod, when he needs a mousetrap rod. The mousetrap rod would be longer, judging by photos.
That's what I'm thinking. Or his may have been cut down for some reason.
But your points are still valid- clutch arm should be properly adjusted, and mousetrap mounted in correct location.
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

bigincher will definetley measure and post results. awander the mousetrap is level so that rod is level. not too high or low. have found several good threads on the adjustment in knowledge base. I have apparently had the wrong parts for many years. this is a Frankenstein for sure. wasn't even close to stock when I got it and still isn't after 25 yrs. I am in the end stages of a rebuild after an accident and am trying to make it a more reliable and road worthy bike. have had clutch issues for years but always got it to work. not correctly but it worked. found out a had wrong arm off kicker cover. was shorter in length after it came out from under oil tank. changed that but with the arm not going all the way back with the wrong kicker cover I was still able to have the eyelet piece on enough that a still thought the rod was correct. after I changed to correct cover the arm goes back a lot further than before the accident. I am hoping that the arm will be the final piece to the clutch issue. I see light at the end of the tunnel and its close enough that I don't think its the train anymore! lol! this is a great site and a lot of people seem to get a lot of help by the veterans. I mean the guys that do this a lot. I may have owned my bike for 25 years but an expert I am not! thanks again tim
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Praise common sense, and the Big Time Milwaukee Sprits [God's]..
Weedy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:16 pm bigincher will definetley measure and post results. awander the mousetrap is level so that rod is level. not too high or low. have found several good threads on the adjustment in knowledge base. I have apparently had the wrong parts for many years. this is a Frankenstein for sure. wasn't even close to stock when I got it and still isn't after 25 yrs. I am in the end stages of a rebuild after an accident and am trying to make it a more reliable and road worthy bike. have had clutch issues for years but always got it to work. not correctly but it worked. found out a had wrong arm off kicker cover. was shorter in length after it came out from under oil tank. changed that but with the arm not going all the way back with the wrong kicker cover I was still able to have the eyelet piece on enough that a still thought the rod was correct. after I changed to correct cover the arm goes back a lot further than before the accident. I am hoping that the arm will be the final piece to the clutch issue. I see light at the end of the tunnel and its close enough that I don't think its the train anymore! lol! this is a great site and a lot of people seem to get a lot of help by the veterans. I mean the guys that do this a lot. I may have owned my bike for 25 years but an expert I am not! thanks again tim
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Hiya Weedy, yeah, if you look at the photos, just about level to maybe a little higher in front is correct for the rod.

I gotta' believe that you had some trouble with that clutch with all the incorrect parts. You're gonna' love it when you get everything right.
Weedy

Post by Weedy »

bigincher got clutch rod in from dennis corso. measures 22 1/4" long. hopefully will have a chance tomorrow to install.
'
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thanks for letting me know. Seems to be 1/4" longer than stock, which isn't a problem at all, since one end is threaded for the shoulder bolt fitting (called "rod end", I think.)

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”