1951 panhead transmission problems only 2 gears

Wilson
Bikes: 1951 Panhead FL

1951 panhead transmission problems only 2 gears

Post by Wilson »

So the 51 pan project I was able to get it running the other day but only have 2 gears . I can get first and neutral and then when I shift up the shifting lever comes up real high seeming to skip past 2nd and third and goes into 4th. Bike will drive but just with those 2 gears . I do have a manual just trying to find out a good place to start looking remove kicker cover, drum shifting mechanism or just pull the Trans. Is making a metal grinding noise which seems to be coming from kicker cover area while idling in neatral. Has a foot shift hand clutch with mousetrap which seems to be functioning well.

All help much appreciated
Thanks Chris
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: 1951 panhead transmission problems only 2 gears

Post by Bigincher »

First of all, it sounds like the clutch pushrod is not adjusted properly, which allows little free play. If it's adjusted without free play, the throwout bearing will turn constantly and eventually destroy it.
To pull the shifter top, you'll need to take the transmission out. I would adjust the clutch per the manual first, and check/adjust shifter linkage. If you have to pull the trans, you can leave the clutch hub and inner primary intact and remove them all together from the left side of the bike. I think that's in the manual too. But clutch adjustment is not directly related to skipping gears as you describe.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You may have broken shifter pawl springs which prevent the internal mechanism from changing gears. The assembly is serviceable with the transmission in the frame but the entire primary has to come off first. It is all covered in the service manual which is in the documentation portion of this site.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Broken shifter pawl spring sounds like that might be it because the shifter lever does not return either when you shift . Going to pull it apart today and check it out.

Thanks for the help guys
Thanks Chris
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So I tore the primary apart and shifter assy. Neither shifter spring is broke . Still only goes into two gears . Any thought where else to look or just pull Tha Trans to look deeper. Have not pulled the kicker assy. Could any parts parts in there hang it up where it would only go Into two gears.

Thanks Chris
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Time to remove tranny, remove tranny lid, problem will be obvious.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So I removed tranny and appears the shifter clutch for 3rd and fourth and really worn which is causing them not to mesh. When this happens do you just replace the shifter clutch or does it genrally mean replace all gears while I am in there. First, neautral and second seem to shift good.

Thanks Chris
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Chris,
Generally speaking, if the shifter clutch is badly worn, then the engaging dogs on the gears usually are as well. The fork is usually worn and bent too from trying to make it shift. The shifter clutch was updated in later years and is backcut to help with engagement. The third gear fitment to shaft was also changed from '59 up to help with excessive wear and whine in third gear. If the late gear is used the low and second cluster needs changing as well to allow it to fit. So by then most of the internals are being replaced. Keep in mind that the shifter ratchet is timed and the drum will mandate shift fork spacing if any of the gears and forks are changed. So you are looking at a complete gearbox overhaul to get it right. All of it has been covered here extensively in the past so search the Knowledge base for previous posts. Following the factory service manual is very straightforward and it is in the documents section. And questions are always welcomed.
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

So I removed tranny and appears the shifter clutch for 3rd and fourth and really worn which is causing them not to mesh. When this happens do you just replace the shifter clutch or does it genrally mean replace all gears while I am in there. First, neautral and second seem to shift good.
Post a photo of the gears and dog when you get it apart, we will advise.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”