main gear

mtnspan
Inactive member

main gear

Post by mtnspan »

Last night I pulled my clutch hub to get at my trans for another repair (loose cover bolt that holds the Tech starter) and found considerable movement in the drive gear. This trans doesn't have many miles on it, < 4500 miles. I can move the main drive gear in and out about a 1/4". :? How much play should there be in it? I haven't opened the lid yet, will take a look tonight after work.
Mtn
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Main drive gear end play- 0.003- 0.013 . It would be just wishful thinking that the sprocket lock nut was just loose. Let us know what ya find.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Yep, wishful thinking. Although the sprocket nut wasn't that tight, I don't think that was the problem. I tried another nut, tightened it down and still had considerable play. :roll: Time to replace or rebuild. It's an aftermarket case, so rather than rebuild, I think I'll go with a Revtech. I like the 5 yr. warrany idea :wink: Next step is a motor rebuild, back to stock 74". It's 86 now and I cannot kick start it to save my life. I have a 74" Shovel, that is much more forgiving, starts easily and runs like a champ. I work on both, so hopefully It's not my mechanical skills. :lol: or then again....................
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

mtnspan
You could inspect the tranny and install a thicker trust washer on the main drive gear ( if all is OK with the tranny ), maybe it was not set up right to begin with.Of course you will have to disassemble the tranny to do it .
main drive gear end play reading.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Fourthgear, thanks for the pic.
I probably will tear it down and make it right, then keep it for another project or spare.
I'm at the point with my Pan, that when things go wrong, I've been replacing with new. The bike is completely aftermarket anyway, so little by little it's becoming a new/old style bike.Mtn

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”