starter gear preferance

dcmc
Bikes: 46FL,55flh, 62FL, twin cam, 701 husky

starter gear preferance

Post by dcmc »

i had a 16 tooth starter gear on hand but it is well worn. also have a 14 tooth in a spare trans that i would rather leave complete. seem to recall the early gear spins the motor faster. wondering what the preferred gear is ? needing to replace some new junk parts that don't mesh well. thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: starter gear preferance

Post by 58flh »

I would try to get the same 16-tooth OEM gear if possible?????---If not See whos been bying starter gears in 16-T that work.You may have to Hand-fit the gear -as to just bolting everything up & find its to tight.How long did the former gear take to wearout???--Probably a long time unless it came from TEDD a year ago!.Also has anything else been changed in the starter dept./As you know a different starter will have -not much but some difference in fitting like a OEM one,& that changes gear mesh.Get the best QUALITY you can & Handfit it /& Keep-up on the grease.----Respectfully----Richie
dcmc
Bikes: 46FL,55flh, 62FL, twin cam, 701 husky

Re: starter gear preferance

Post by dcmc »

well i ended up pulling the 14 tooth out and using it, the 16 i had was just too worn and pitted on the faces. the repop gear and clutch was from nempco probably 15 years ago, upon reassembly i found what probably caused the problem it was the repop lock tab that had only one tang on it and it got drawn in between the nut and mainshaft threads preventing proper tightening of the gear and starter clutch. will be looking for a 16 tooth oe gear. thanks

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”