Transmission 1964 wont shift into 2-3 or 4th

Mickey Yak
Bikes: 1950 Pan 58 frame Old School Custom Built
1981 Sportster IronHead

Transmission 1964 wont shift into 2-3 or 4th

Post by Mickey Yak »

Gents
Working on a 1964 4 speed. I noticed the clevis pin fell out of the linkage at the ratchet end. This was after I put new clutch plates in. It will shift into 1st and neutral but not 2nd 3rd or 4th. To put the clevis pin back in I pulled the ratchet arm up, could I have knocked the innards out of adjustment.
I tried shifting into second with the motor not running, that did not work. Found was a small stainless steel ball bearing about 1/8 wide, could have been on the floor.
What are your thoughts?
Thank You
Mickey Yak
Dave_R
Bikes: 1953 FLE Panhead
1960 FLH Panhead
1979 FXE Shovel
2001 Heritage "Twinkie"

Re: Transmission 1964 wont shift into 2-3 or 4th

Post by Dave_R »

Just from an experience .....

Mine did the same thing, 1st OK and neutral, sometimes I couldn't get neutral.
Ended up being "gummy" oil. I had used Lucas manual transmission oil which had lost its "slipperiness". It starved the ratchet lid from lubrication so it wouldn't move freely.

Changed to regular motor oil and within a few minutes of running the engine, it started to shift good again.

Thought it was a fluke, so a year later I did it again (yes, sometimes I don't learn my lessons). Did the same thing, so back to motor oil.

Always seemed to do this after it sat for some time.

Not saying that is your problem, but that was my experience.

- Dave
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Micky----If she shifted good last year Them Im going to go with the Pawls & both springs!.I had the same thing 2yrs back/I was riding & it just got stuck in first at a light!/I had Neautral but nothing else.All my linkage was fine ,My P-chain was fine So I Bumped her up dry to second & that was no fun.But I had 15-miles to go & 1st wasent cutting it/2nd wasent any better for that matter.I pulled the oil tank & ratchet-lid & when the dust cover came-off for the 2-pawls & 2-springs I found 1-spring in 6-8 pieces,& the other was broken in half.The cause is running DRY!!!!.I also had to retime the drum as I went over the whole lid.Upon assembly PUT ALOT of white grease or the DARK green water repellent Wheel-Bering grease.I used the Darker Wheel grease.Take 2-fingers & just take a blob into them & press that in every crvace where the springs & pawls are!.If you think you put enuff!--PUT MORE!--Theres nothing that you can hurt here.Assemble with 4-screws & try shifting by hand into all the gears -up & down.-(rear wheel off the ground ofcourse).It should work fine!.While you had the lid off /I forgot to mention ,have a look-see at the gears & dogs Check main & countershafts for EXCESS-PLAY.& make sure the shift-Forks were tight & the Hats didn't drop into the mixer when you lifted the lid.99% of the time if you cant get into a gear --Its usually the Pawls & springs.The pawls edges MUST be RAZOR SHARP!.This is important for sweet smooth shifts!.GOOD-LUCK----Respectfully----RICHIE
Mickey Yak
Bikes: 1950 Pan 58 frame Old School Custom Built
1981 Sportster IronHead

Post by Mickey Yak »

Gents
Can the ratchet cover be remover while on the bike? Because it worked before I pulled the ratchet lever up to weasel the pin in it makes sence that my problem might be a broken spring.
What do you think?
Mickey Yak
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

All the ratchet assembly is accessible for service in the bike. The entire primary must be removed though. The pawl could just be gummed up and stuck in the carrier. But if you go into it replace both springs and grease the assembly well. don't forget to check the timing position. It is all in the service manual (which is in the Knowledge Base/Documentation if you do not have one).
Robbie

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”