Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

main drive gear end play

Post by Scrap »

RE: 57 FL 4 speed. I have searched the KB and the reprint "how to wrench your 74 tranny" and I can't find the procedure for adjusting MDG end play. The parts book shows a variety of washers for the counter shaft but not the MDG. I assume that end play is a measure of the in out movement (not the up down movement that can be adjusted with the rollers) There is a post from "Cotten" that describes an alternative that involves machining the spacer. What am I missing?
Thanks
Sam
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Re: main drive gear end play

Post by Scrap »

Scrap wrote:RE: 57 FL 4 speed. I have searched the KB and the reprint "how to wrench your 74 tranny" and I can't find the procedure for adjusting MDG end play. The parts book shows a variety of washers for the counter shaft but not the MDG. I assume that end play is a measure of the in out movement (not the up down movement that can be adjusted with the rollers) There is a post from "Cotten" that describes an alternative that involves machining the spacer. What am I missing?
Thanks
Sam
By the way, here is the link to "Cotten's" post https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... ice#p81942
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Sam,
You aren't "missing" anything. H-D did not make washers in differing thicknesses for that application . The MDG was captive when assembled and the end play was just what it was, with no adjustment provided as new. And adjustment to the end play must be done by use of aftermarket parts, so it isn't shown in the repair manuals.
Flatland lists the washers here,
http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany.co ... dlist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

RUBONE wrote:Sam,
You aren't "missing" anything. H-D did not make washers in differing thicknesses for that application . The MDG was captive when assembled and the end play was just what it was, with no adjustment provided as new. And adjustment to the end play must be done by use of aftermarket parts, so it isn't shown in the repair manuals.
Flatland lists the washers here,
http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany.co ... dlist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Explains a lot.
Thanks.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

So what could cause too little endplay? I had that problem on my 51, tighten up the sprocket nut and the rear wheel would bind...Mike
docmel

Post by docmel »

I agree with the others: No end play adjustment available, which frankly makes our old 4 speeds really easy to rebuild and reassemble. Can you be more specific in why you might feel your tramnny might need some sort of adjustment?
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Bullshit! Your going to build a new box than get it right. God knows you investing enough bread into it. I shoot for ten thousands end play on all my boxes. You don't won't it to tight, you wan't oil to get in there. On my site you can buy washers in the following sizes. Standard which is .60 and the rest .40, .45, .50, .55,.65, .70, .80. Do you think all of these are available because there is no adjustment? Get it right the first time. Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Also using a gun to take the nut off is ok!--But don't use a gun when installing.Use a proper T-wrench on install.---Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”