Transmission seals

panhead62
Bikes: 62 pan, 83 FXR, 2013 Ultra Classic Trike

Transmission seals

Post by panhead62 »

I will be removing my Transmission and while I have it out I would like to replace the output shaft seals. I have had no problems with the transmission other than leaks. Can the seals be replace(both seals, main drive gear shaft seal and main drive gear oil seal) without disassembling the transmission? Thanks in advance for your help.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Transmission seals

Post by old.wrench »

Yes, both seals can be replaced without pulling the trans apart. The seals can be serviced with the tranny in place on the bike. You do need to pull the tranny sprocket to access the seals. There is a factory tool that is made for the purpose of removing and replacing the MDG seal, but you can do job without it if you employ a little ingenuity.

Geo.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If yer talkin bout the Main Drive Gear spacer seal, and the Mainshaft Oil Seal (cork washer), no the trans does not need to be dissassembled to replace them. The sprocket does need to be removed to access these seals....bosheff
panhead62

Post by panhead62 »

This is what I thought. Thanks for confirming this. Always thankful for the advise on this forum.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

Unless you have a 1965 and later main drive gear, there is no place for a seal in it.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Rod, he probably is refering to the cork washer on the spacer, not the 65-up seal within the main drive gear, just guessing....Mike
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Post by saddlebagrail »

Early oem gear(before 65) do not have any small seal at all,MoCo never install them in those gear,only later gear would have seal install or if you have an aftermarket gear,

All seals could be install while tranny still in the bike,use Loctite primer 7649 and then green Loctite in the case and outside of seal when install them,I can supply a new spacer with o-ring to replace the oem spacer ,contact me via email if you are interested, saddlebagrail@yahoo.ca

one more thing I never ever use the cork behind the James big Blue seal(best main seal ),this way I can install the main seal slightly deeper than flush without interfering with spacer shoulder in the back,hope this help,Ray
jnjlabs
Bikes: 7 shovels and a 1937 u model with sidecar

Post by jnjlabs »

If you have the transmission out why wouldn't you take it apart and rebuild it? Before I pull a trans out I first put downward pressure on rear chain then grab primary chain and push up and down on it if ya have a bunch of movement on rear chain, your main drive bushing is worn among other parts. pull it and fix it right or your wasteing time. :D
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

In the K-BASE theres a (HOW-TO service your 4-speed tranny!//You will find what your facing & how to seal it PROPERLY!/I never used the cork eighther!--Ray has very good insight & is nice enuff to explain it to you VIA--PM.I suggest you check-out that write-up on rebuilding a 4-speed!.---Also have the PROPER MANUALs for your machine!--(Clymers has some good things in it//But its those things you learned as a teenager! :lol: /Factory Manuals are the way to go!//I have a Clymers that I got a very long time ago/its the one that has a blue pan on the cover.Its good for point-spec.--Timing,& easy-stuff like that.Theres ALOT of pages missing where Motor rebuilding & trans rebuilding is.For a guy 20yrs. old & just getting into the game of restoration/It has some usefulness/But even they use them as book-ends after a year or 2.JMHO----Respectfully---RICHIE
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Right after getting a proper Harley manual. I threw my Clymer's book into the trash can

Interesting about not using the cork......I just finished up my transmission, and sealed all the places I think that it might seep or leak from. Too late now, cuz I am not taking it out.

George
panhead62

Post by panhead62 »

Thanks Gentleman for all your responses. My tranny is a pre 65. I am hesitant to do a rebuild as I do not have the expertise to do this along with not having the proper alignment tools. I have not had any trouble with the tranny, and has been working fine. Unless there is excess play would I really want to do a complete rebuild? Saddlebagrail I have seen your video and tried to contact you about your o ring spacer must have typed in wrong email I will try again to get with you about your part once I have the tranny out and can give you the specifics. Thanks again to all of you for your input...this is a great site with a wealth of information.

Bob
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Post by saddlebagrail »

panhead62 wrote:Thanks Gentleman for all your responses. My tranny is a pre 65. I am hesitant to do a rebuild as I do not have the expertise to do this along with not having the proper alignment tools. I have not had any trouble with the tranny, and has been working fine. Unless there is excess play would I really want to do a complete rebuild? Saddlebagrail I have seen your video and tried to contact you about your o ring spacer must have typed in wrong email I will try again to get with you about your part once I have the tranny out and can give you the specifics. Thanks again to all of you for your input...this is a great site with a wealth of information.

Bob

I have nevr been in a video concerning the spacer with o-ring,there is a guy who explain how to do it with a use spacer with totally different specs than what I use and different o-rings,the one I sell is made out od brand new metal,with my own specs,been doing those for probably over 20 years ,contact me at if you want one,Ray

saddlebagrail@yahoo.ca
panhead62

Post by panhead62 »

thanks Ray will do. Sorry for the confusion. Bob
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Bob.....

You can do it!

I built my transmission from a bare case........and select parts.

Follow the manual, and with the search feature here and tips and assistance from the members here......you will be able to do it..

Just ask questions and post photos of your concerns.....and you'll do fine.

George Greer
panhead62

Post by panhead62 »

Thanks George, once I hve tranny out will check it out and see what all needs to be done before installing it in new frame.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”