63 Pan electric start conversion

knuckleheadmike
Bikes: 1941 Knuckle, 1963 Panhead, 1912 Indian twin, 2008 Ultra Classic

63 Pan electric start conversion

Post by knuckleheadmike »

Greetings all,
I'm just getting too old to kick start a Harley, so I decided to convert my 63 Panhead to electric start. I have a pretty serious welding table so I built a frame jig and swapped the seat rail forgings to accomodate the electric start oil tank and battery and I'm in the process of putting her back together. I would appreciate any pictures of the coil / terminal box mounting, voltage regulator mounting or anything that might help me get this bike wired up.

Thanks in advance

knuckleheadmike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 63 Pan electric start conversion

Post by RUBONE »

Mike,
The Voltage regulator mounts on the side of the E-start battery box, the coil mount is exactly the same as your '63. All the parts are simple to bolt on from the point where you are. The wiring is pretty simple, just add the wire to the relay and a new set of wires going to the starter button, wire in the starter motor and solenoid. Virtually all the rest is like your bike already has. Add a 12V genny and coil along with appropriate bulbs and you are there. A circuit breaker on the system is good insurance as well.
Don P
Bikes: 1951 Panhead (FL)

Re: 63 Pan electric start conversion

Post by Don P »

You could take a look here, http://www.4speedelectricstart.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if I had the money to spare it would be on my bike

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”