Tin primary tranny

shvhd
Inactive member

Tin primary tranny

Post by shvhd »

Description: Has anyone out there done this or have any words of wisdom on this project?

Hi all. New to the site an could use a little help. Building a 51 pan chopper an putting a 5 spd in my 79 shovel. Wanna use the 4 spd out of the 79 fxe shovel on the 51 & wanna use tin primary. Gonna run a 11mm belt to keep it clean. I know I have to machine the mounting tabs off the tranny where they will hit the inner tin. I was told the main shaft also needs to be changed because a tin primary tranny used a shorter one. I thought it was just a different case.Has anyone out there done this or have any words of wisdom on this project? Thanks
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Tin primary tranny

Post by fourthgear »

shvhd
All elect. starts have a longer shaft ,kick only -37 to 64 11.75" ,65 to 69 are 12" and 70 to 84 is 12 1/2 ",you will need to do something with that to line up you primary drive system , belt or chain. I'm not sure how much the alum. mounting tabs will interfere. Some one else has done this here and will be able to help.
My65pan

Re: Tin primary tranny

Post by My65pan »

I used one of these on my '65 tranny to convert to a kick only, belt drive, tin primary set up: http://www.jpcycles.com/
Then I just cut a big hole in the inner primary so it would fit over the bearing support and that was it. Looks good, and has some extra ventilation for the belt.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”