Repaired Transmission help

cycledelic
Bikes: '58 FL
'72 XLCH
'73 XLCH

Repaired Transmission help

Post by cycledelic »

Hey Guys,

I recently acquired this trans case. The guy i got it off said it came with a load of parts he got when be bought out a closing down shop in Cali. Some on has done an ok job of welding up the front.
I am keen to use this and do whatever it take to make it work. I have put a counter shaft and gears in to make sure it all clears the weld on the inside which is fine.
The only trouble is when they welded the piece in the front back in it has dropped and 2 of the lid mounting screw holes dont line up and there is a gap in the middle. But all the other lid screws line up fine.
I have a few ideas on how i could repair this but be good to get someone elses views.
Any info from someone who has a case with similar repair or an experienced trans rebuilder would be appreciated.
I have attached photos

Thanks,
James

panhead george
Bikes: "48 panhead,"06 streetglide,
"97 sportster

Re: Repaired Transmission help

Post by panhead george »

James, In my opinion I would let it go and start looking for a new case. A trans failure could really make some problems if it were to lock up when the case explodes and that aluminum has been through a lot with the amount of weld that it has taken. But someone here may have a better way to "skin the cat" so to speak. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck !!
George
cycledelic
'72 XLCH
'73 XLCH

Post by cycledelic »

Thanks for that George
I was about to build up my new trans but had and electric start case, so when i got this i thought it would be nice to run this behind my 58FL. So if i dont end up using this earlier case i will have to settle for the later elec start case.

Cheers,
James
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

I'd be surprised if ANYTHING lines up.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Sorry to say, it's not worth the effort.
You can always saw the ears off the electric start case.
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Post by saddlebagrail »

I have save worst than that,Ray

I just did one repair on a tranny exactly like yours,I will try to find pics of the repair,external of the tranny now looks like nothing was repair or weld,shaft will align ,the only problem you have right now is 2 holes that doesn't line with cover and top a little cave in.
cycledelic
'72 XLCH
'73 XLCH

Post by cycledelic »

saddlebagrail wrote:I have save worst than that,Ray

I just did one repair on a tranny exactly like yours,I will try to find pics of the repair,external of the tranny now looks like nothing was repair or weld,shaft will align ,the only problem you have right now is 2 holes that doesn't line with cover and top a little cave in.
Thanks "saddlebagrail" i would really appreciate that. i like to think nothing is to far gone, especially because i have see people running trans cases that have totally spit in half. This only blew a piece out. I also have access to any engineering gear i need which makes life a bit easier.
As for the 2 hole not lining up, i was planning on plugging those and re tapping them, then. Sealing where it has dropped was the only this i was unsure of. I am apprehensive to touch it with weld and re machine the top surface.

Thanks again,
James
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

In my opinion ,It can be fixed ,BUT WHY?--THIS IS the CASE you hone your skills of a Tigmiester on!/Yea you can add to the scrap Alum. heap,But Practice your welding skills first!---Respectfully---RICHIE
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

The transmission is worth saving. If it were mine I would weld up the holes that don’t line up and the gasket service then mill it down; drill and tap and the rest is just cosmetic. I ran one on my 93” FLH shovelhead for many years that was repaired like that one with no problems.

John
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I have one the same way and I have a problem with the countershaft not being square with the mainshaft when I put it together the C-shaft gears were way to tight.Before you scrap it you should try and put it together as if you were going to run it and see if everything is free.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

My transmission had the corner blown out and repaired in such a way it's not even visible. But it was not in the middle of the case as this is, and critical points were not effected.
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Post by saddlebagrail »

Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

That's pretty amazing, Ray.
cycledelic
'72 XLCH
'73 XLCH

Post by cycledelic »

Thanks for the pictures 'saddlebagrail'
I will defiantly have a go at running these cases. I will plug them as i stated earlier and will check both shaft for alignment agains the good elec start case i have. Thanks for you positive feedback guys. I will let you know how i get on once i tackle things. I will try get pics of my work to.

Cheers,
James
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

I would understand a bike shop not wanting to mess with it, time is money and a new case is reasonable. But for an owner willing to give it a go, wth? Its broke you can’t hurt it? Go for it. I’d give it my best shot first, should that fail then punt.
Ray, very nice of you posting pic’s of how to resolve the issue. My little pea brain is picturing a pair of long shafts & bushings poked thru to check alignment? Watcha got?
Regards.

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”