Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

main drive gear spacer key

Post by Scrap »

RE: 57 FL 4 speed. My new left side main shaft seal came with a new main drive gear spacer key. I see it in the parts diagram. If there was one in my transmission I do not see it. I have no idea where it should go. There does not seem be anywhere I can find to place it. Is behind the roller bearing? Is it between the spacer and the bearing? Outboard of the spacer? Behind the clutch basket? Is it for a different year?
Thanks in advance
Sam
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: main drive gear spacer key

Post by RUBONE »

Sam,
If you are referring to the "L" shaped key it fits into the small notch at the end of the spacer with the short end of the key in the notch and the long end pointing down into the gear in one of the spline slots and is held in place by the transmission sprocket. It makes the sleeve turn with the gear and allows the seal to do its job.
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Re: main drive gear spacer key

Post by Scrap »

RUBONE wrote:Sam,
If you are referring to the "L" shaped key it fits into the small notch at the end of the spacer with the short end of the key in the notch and the long end pointing down into the gear in one of the spline slots and is held in place by the transmission sprocket. It makes the sleeve turn with the gear and allows the seal to do its job.
That explains it. Maybe I lost it when I took the old seal out but if so, I can't find it anywhere.
Thanks,
Sam

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”