4speed trans sprocket

Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Re: 4speed trans sprocket

Post by Huck »

Hereyago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Cotten wrote:
Hog54 wrote:I take them off and put them on with an air impact wrench.35 years now and never had a problem.You just have to know what your doing.:)
Hog54!

You remind me of the common mantra of my barroom pool-playing days"
"Better to be lucky than good."

....Cotten

Well all I know is I never stripped a shaft and I never had a sprocket come loose.If you put the nut on by hand till its all the way tight and just zap it quick with the gun,it will be fine.Most regular impact guns are only 150 pounds torque anyway.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I went back to find the chart for a double check but it seems to be gone now, strange...
https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/view ... 103&t=1073
amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Post by amiabledave »

I'm on board with hog 54. Impact gun off and on. Never had a problem.
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

Impact wrench afficianados,
What would you guess your installed torque would be?

Geo.
panhead george
Bikes: "48 panhead,"06 streetglide,
"97 sportster

Post by panhead george »

CHECK MATE !!
amiabledave
Bikes: 1957 Panhead, First HD was a 1969 Sporster w/factory mag,

Post by amiabledave »

Impact wrench afficianados, What would you guess your installed torque would be
Tight. Then bend the locking tab on the nut! Christ! I've seen people put a chisel to the nut. How tight do you think that is? And never had a problem! Some people go way overboard with a torque wrench.

I mean, put a torque wrench to the trans sprocket? Really! I guess everybody puts a torque wrench to the rear axle every time they tighten the chain... funny how my Pan has lasted 30 years in my possession. And 10 years from the brother I bought it off of.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

It may seem silly to you, AmiableDave,

But there are real reasons to be precise with a main drive gear sprocket nut.

Metal moves under fastener stress.
As I mentioned previously, the endplay of the main drive gear must be measured under torque. This means you will be installing it, removing it for adjustment, and then re-installing it, perhaps more than once.
Shocking fine threads with an impact over and over is not desireable; A slow, "creeping" tightening of the nut is far more gentle, and reproduceable.
MDGTHRED.jpg
And I also mentioned the fitting of the main drive gear bushing.
The effect of the nut is to splay the bushing wide at that end. Thus the bushing should be fit under a torque that then can be reproduced for final assembly, giving the best cylindrical bearing surface possible, with the longest life possible.
(When a freshly fitted gear is untorqued, the nut end actually closes slightly, but returns to "true" only if re-torqued to the same pressure as when fitted.)

Slamming it blindly together with an impact depends entirely upon luck.

And yes, Dave,...
Those of us whose customers expect accuracy do use a torquewrench.
CATTORQ.jpg
.....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scorsi1
Bikes: '42 WLA, '52 FLF, '63 FL, '87 FLHTC

Post by scorsi1 »

According to the info posted by Huck, the transmission drive sprocket gets torqued to 120 to 150 ft/lbs. I'm ready to re-assemble my '63 fl tranny, but those numbers can't be right for the sprocket nut that goes on the end of main drive gear. It's a shallow fine thread nut with only about 6 threads mating with a shaft with splines cut into it. Cotten, you like to torque this nut to hone main drive gear bushing, so what torque are you using? Thanks in advance!
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I quoted the chart but Robbie says that number is too high, maybe he'll give us a good number to use...
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Panacea wrote:I quoted the chart but Robbie says that number is too high, maybe he'll give us a good number to use...
I hope so, because I am at that stage too.

Seems like I read somewhere that 80 foot pounds was it.

George
scorsi1
Bikes: '42 WLA, '52 FLF, '63 FL, '87 FLHTC

Post by scorsi1 »

From years of wrenching and having stripped a few threads over the yrs. (no sicker feeling) , my gut tells me 80 ft/lbs is more like it. I will be threading a Super Nut onto a new Andrews main drive gear, so I can't afford a mistake. Fine threads get very tight at a lower torque than course threads, plus this nut has a tab lock washer, so I can't see a reason for tightening it to near failure. My Clymer (I know, not much of a manual) just says "tighten securely", but if you are adjusting end play, you need to use a consistent number, correct? My Clymer manual does give a torque for what they call "countershaft sprocket" which, to my knowledge, doesn't exist. I'm assuming they mean compensating sprocket.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Looking back at that chart, I see it was originally furnished by Mr. Plumber AKA V-Twin(,Kirk Perry and Mark Stettler , page 6, Vol. 1, Mechanics & Owners Guide 1941-1959 OHV Big Twins) So it does not appear to be official tourqe specs....Mike
saddlebagrail
Bikes: FLH 67
FX77
FL 66
FLHTC98

Post by saddlebagrail »

Here is my input

I never use torque wrench in all my latest installations,I did this way back then, try to reach the specs mentioned in books,at over 100 pounds,more like 125-150 pounds way too much for the those little thin nut,most are nut hardened anyway and cannot survive that much stress without stripping,I have also seen stripped thread on the hardened main gear ....never use an impact on those for sure,now I only use a normal ratchet,my custom made wrench accept a 3/8 drive so that is not that much ,with my spacer with o-ring ,no need to over torque and stress those parts anymore,then when you feel it is tight enough, bend the lock tab and your all set for long time.

The purpose of high torque on the nut at first, was to keep lots of pressure between main drive gear and spacer on the back.... to try stop leaks between those 2 parts,not a problem anymore with my spacer's improvement.Ray

I even made my own nuts last time ,made with D-2 tool steel air hardened to 50 Rck to replace a nut that had almost stripped on an Andrews gear that was like new except for that,just chase the thread on the gear itself with a carbide and made a new set of nuts to save the gear(one set to have a spare ones:))
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

That makes sense to me. I normally bump up my torque wrench setting 10 or so pounds at a time on anything so I can get a feel for it. I never made it past 100 ft lbs. Hard to say how many nuts I’ve seen obviously removed and installed with a chisel & hammer. I figured anything I did would be better than that. That posted torque spec seems too high to me, but, what do I know?

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”