shifting seems harsh

55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

shifting seems harsh

Post by 55panFL »

55 FL foot shift . My question is it shifts fine but going into second gear and third gear it seems to clunk really hard. (hard to describe)
slips right into first & Fourth gear nice and smooth. neutral is easy to find. Bike has shifted this way since i have had it. Was just wondering if i should be looking for a problem or is this normal?

Thanks, Dennis
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: shifting seems harsh

Post by RUBONE »

They all clunk to some extent. However, have you ever checked the ratchet top assembly timing? It needs to be set up properly to shift consistently. It is well covered in the service manual which is available on this site in the knowledge base. High gear generally is quiet since the gear speed matches well. Because of the design of the gearbox if the forks are not traveling all the way and allowing full engagement of the dogs it can pull itself into engagement somewhat exaggerating the clunk.
Clutch adjustment plays a large role as well.
Robbie
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Have you checked chain adjustment?
55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by 55panFL »

Just installed a new primary chain, compensating sprocket & adjusted clutch. It didn't help any, has always shifted the same (snaps or clunks into 2nd & 3rd gear). I will read up on the Ratchet adjustment and give that a try.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

All H-D Big Twin 4 speeds are gonna clunk to some extent goin into 2nd, especially if ya got FL gearing which I 'm guessin ya got. FX gearing not so much. Third doesn't clunk as bad as 2nd, but usually whines more than 1st, 2nd or high. Have ya changed the oil in it lately, and if ya did/do, what type of oil are ya usin/gonna use? Stick with H-D 105/ Regular Heavy when the weather is hot, maybe go to Sporty oil for winter use....bosheff
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Bosheff wrote:All H-D Big Twin 4 speeds are gonna clunk to some extent goin into 2nd, ...
With all due respect Bosheff, and Robbie, too!

You mean all H-D Big Twin foot-shift 4 speeds ....

....Cotten

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”