Panhead slipping into gear when trying to kick start.

dude63
Inactive member
Bikes: 1947 knucklehead chopper
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Panhead slipping into gear when trying to kick start.

Post by dude63 »

Hi everyone.. I just got done building a 49 chopper and Im trying to get it running. It has a linkert, morris mag and a 5 bolt clutch. The clutch was on the trans when I bought it... So my problem is when I kick the bike it seems to go into gear when the kicker comes back up? At this point I am scared to get it running as it might go into gear when I get it started and fall over! Any info will help!! What do I have wrong for this to happen? Also when I press the foot clutch it seems to not push the plate in even I don't know if this has anything to do with it or if the problem is in the kicker side.
Thanks so much in advance Denis
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Panhead slipping into gear when trying to kick start.

Post by 1950Panhead »

The shift drum has five indents, one per gear and neutral.
There is a cap, spring, ball bearing that presses on the indents for each gear and neutral.
The original tank shift gate has notches that also hold gear position.
If the factory gate is gone you can turn the cap in to increase spring pressure or install a stronger spring.
Jerry
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Panhead slipping into gear when trying to kick start.

Post by 58flh »

IF your plates are not losening even all around when you depress clutch!--Take all plates & discs off & try each one ,Most likely you will see a few are hanging-up!---DRILL the holes in the discs a 1/64 oversize,& clean the whole inside of hub to the -(eat off it stage)--Take a file & lightly file the plates where they travel on the channels!--DO this for each-plate,& check to see that they fall in easy & come out with no BIND!--Lightly! grease the channels with a small brush-wheel bering is fine to use! ASSEMBLE clutch & ADJ> so kicker grabs & it releases evenly!----YOU might be dealing with another problem!--I would take the Lid-off the tranny & check your shift-forks--(sometimes they loosen or adj. in the wrong spot!-run thru the gears with lid off & see how all is working!--After this you should be good to go!-Make sure lid is clean & pawls are not EGGED! IF good put together carefully & give her a go!--When clutch is applied you should be able to spin the hub over by hand!-----MY 2---RICHIE :wink:

Return to “Transmission, Starter & Shifting”