54 KHK Engine Work Needed N. Calif.

59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

54 KHK Engine Work Needed N. Calif.

Post by 59Panman »

My friend owns a 54 KHK that is leaking oil from the oil pump. He is looking for someone in N. California, near the Bay Area who has the experience to split the engine cases to repair the oil leak. He would do it himself, but was diagnosed with Parkinson's and does not have the dexterity to attempt to fix it now. I will assist him with the removal of the motor so it can be transported to get it repaired. Anyone have a mechanic they trust?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 54 KHK Engine Work Needed N. Calif.

Post by RUBONE »

There is no reason to split cases on a KHK to repair the oil pump. It is just bolted to the bottom of the cam chest. Removal of the pump and cam cover to re-time the pump are easy to do and can be done in the frame.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

As said ,Very easy to do.---I have seen some in aftermarket frames that the rear & top & front mounts must be loosened to lift motor up some as frame-tube is in the way.If stock you should have no trouble with pump,& just removal of pegs & brake for the cover to come off so you can time the pump & have a look-see in there.As dumb as it may sound ,BE SURE that the FEED-LINE is not crimped anywhere enroute to pump.----Respectfully---RICHIE
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks guys,

I understood from my friend that we had to remove the engine. I will relay the info to see what he wants to do.

Return to “Indians & other non-Harley models”