https://www.lostakey.net/index.php?main ... 20davidson
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Briggs and Stratton Keys

Post by 59Panman »

Roodog,

Based on the list of key models, which key # would be the correct key for my 1959 Pan?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

59Panman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:52 am Roodog,

Based on the list of key models, which key # would be the correct key for my 1959 Pan?
Lo siento....
I have no idea. I just stumbled upon this saved site while looking for something else. I would think that one should just match the code number on your lock cylinder, if it is OEM....
I have a coded cylinder for my '68 FL I should try to match a key to.....
Neck lock, and the dash switch should both have codes stamped in them....
....RooDog....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Any of them, or none of them depending on how you look at it. Standard ignition switches from '48-'63 do not have tumbler pins in them and use the fork lock key. So there are no codes on the tumbler and any key fits it. The fork lock from '56 up has a stainless cover on the fork lock and you cannot see the code. A good locksmith can figure it out. So unless you have an original fork lock key or good locksmith you will not be able to determine a number. '55 and earlier frames have exposed neck locks, and '47 and earlier bikes or '64 and later bikes have key codes on the switch .
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Have used that company, many, many a time.
Have the number, they have the key.
Wrong Road
Bikes: 1960 FLHF
1975 FLHP

Post by Wrong Road »

RUBONE wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:37 am

Any of them, or none of them depending on how you look at it. Standard ignition switches from '48-'63 do not have tumbler pins in them and use the fork lock key. So there are no codes on the tumbler and any key fits it. The fork lock from '56 up has a stainless cover on the fork lock and you cannot see the code. A good locksmith can figure it out. So unless you have an original fork lock key or good locksmith you will not be able to determine a number. '55 and earlier frames have exposed neck locks, and '47 and earlier bikes or '64 and later bikes have key codes on the switch .
Hi Rubone,

I was at Oley, PA Friday and asked around for a key blank for my 60 Pan ignition. I found a good fellow who was making keys and he asked for the lock #. Remembering your post I said I was just needing the correct blank. He provided a 'D' blank and that works fine. Can you point me to info on replacing the fork lock. Many thanks for your excellent knowledge.

Wrong Road
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

There is a lot of information on this site about replacing the fork lock, just need to search. Its a tough job based upon the area and angle of the retaining pin or screw.

Are you removing to have locksmith figure out the key code or replacing the entire lock? The current HD fork locks sold by reputable vendors do not have the same key blank (style of key) that your old 60's ignition lock does, so if replacing you'll still end up with two keys.

My experience is that you cannot change the tumblers in a fork lock without destroying the lock, so if trying to figure out the key code your better off taking the whole bike to the locksmith.

Return to “General topics”