Bearing Part Number Cross Reference

Finding GOOD bearings using H-D Part Numbers

General topics, not related to any other category
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Bearing Part Number Cross Reference

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Has anyone compiled a list or something similar with Harley-Davidson part numbers cross-referencing decent bearing manufacturers' part numbers (like American or even Japanese)? When I go online with an H-D bearing part number for say, mid star hub and brake drum bearings I always come up with what I believe, based on the price, is cheap junk. If it sells for $8.95 that takes into account a few mark ups as it moves through the supply chain, plus a ride on a freighter across the Pacific, import duties or whatever. It probably cost less than a dollar to manufacture. Not just for these bearings, but for others as well. I'm not made of $$, but I don't want to put cheap crap in my bike and have to do the job over again a couple of years later or even worse, have a bearing failure take out other parts.
Thanks,

Jim
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Bearing Part Number Cross Reference

Post by RUBONE »

Virtually all bearings have the manufacturers numbers etched or stamped into the race edges. They are easy cross reference from those. H-D part numbers mean nothing to a bearing supply house.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RUBONE wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:25 pm Virtually all bearings have the manufacturers numbers etched or stamped into the race edges. They are easy cross reference from those. H-D part numbers mean nothing to a bearing supply house.
I like to have the new parts on hand at the same time I take the old ones out, which means I may not get a look at the stamped or etched number before hand. Sometimes you can see the number in a picture online. I wish there was a good old fashioned bearing supply house near me. Anyway, I guess it's not a big deal. I certainly have more daunting tasks ahead than that.

Jim
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 pm
RUBONE wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:25 pm Virtually all bearings have the manufacturers numbers etched or stamped into the race edges. They are easy cross reference from those. H-D part numbers mean nothing to a bearing supply house.
I like to have the new parts on hand at the same time I take the old ones out, which means I may not get a look at the stamped or etched number before hand. Sometimes you can see the number in a picture online. I wish there was a good old fashioned bearing supply house near me. Anyway, I guess it's not a big deal. I certainly have more daunting tasks ahead than that.

Jim
Jim...
Do these guys not service bearings by industry standard part numbers?

Grainger Industrial Supply
430 Central Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02861

(401) 724-0975
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

I buy most of mine from the local NAPA store. Even bearings to fix stuff like my Sawzalls and grinders. 90% of the bearings in the world are metric sizing, including most H-D even back to the '20s, that has always been the standard. The nearest Grainger or bearing supply house is 130 miles away. If NAPA can't find it in their corporate channels they order from the bearing supply and still have it next day on their truck.

Oh, and the link I posted took less than 30 seconds to find on line...just sayin' :mrgreen:
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:01 pm
Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 pm

Jim
Jim...
Do these guys not service bearings by industry standard part numbers?

Grainger Industrial Supply
430 Central Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02861

(401) 724-0975
As long as I can get the industry standard part number. That's the cross-reference I'm asking about. Just thought there might be something out there. Maybe I'll put my own together as I go. As for Grainger - yes, they and McMaster-Carr have just about everything. You used to need a business account to buy from them, but that may have changed in the age of on-line retail.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RUBONE wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:04 am I buy most of mine from the local NAPA store. Even bearings to fix stuff like my Sawzalls and grinders. 90% of the bearings in the world are metric sizing, including most H-D even back to the '20s, that has always been the standard. The nearest Grainger or bearing supply house is 130 miles away. If NAPA can't find it in their corporate channels they order from the bearing supply and still have it next day on their truck.
Thanks. Good information. I've found NAPA to be much better than the other chain parts houses like Auto Zone in terms of knowledgeable people behind the counter and inventory.
flat38

Post by flat38 »

Both Grainger and McMasterCarr sell to retail customers. I have been buying from both without a business account for years without any problem.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

flat38 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:27 pm Both Grainger and McMasterCarr sell to retail customers. I have been buying from both without a business account for years without any problem.
I only tried once, several years ago, at a Grainger in Warwick, RI, and when I went to pay for my merchandise the counter man asked what business account it was for. When I told him I was there for myself and no associated business he wouldn't sell me the merchandise. I haven't tried since. I guess it's worth another try.
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:53 pm
flat38 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:27 pm Both Grainger and McMasterCarr sell to retail customers. I have been buying from both without a business account for years without any problem.
I only tried once, several years ago, at a Grainger in Warwick, RI, and when I went to pay for my merchandise the counter man asked what business account it was for. When I told him I was there for myself and no associated business he wouldn't sell me the merchandise. I haven't tried since. I guess it's worth another try.
Don’t,

I tried in Marietta Georgia.

It was a thermometer for my still.

Disappointed with them

George
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Jim....
I have never traded with Gringer, but there are at least four bearing supply houses in my neighborhood, Knoxville, Tennessee, who supply what ever I need except some Dealer Only apps, like for AC clutches. And the Providence area being a old industrial center, it would seem to me bearing suppliers would be common. How did ol' Samuel Slater get by?
....RD....
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Maybe try King Bearing?
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:14 pm Jim....
I have never traded with Gringer, but there are at least four bearing supply houses in my neighborhood, Knoxville, Tennessee, who supply what ever I need except some Dealer Only apps, like for AC clutches. And the Providence area being a old industrial center, it would seem to me bearing suppliers would be common. How did ol' Samuel Slater get by?
....RD....
I've been it the old Slater Mill. Sam used lots of giant belts and pulleys. It was interesting (I didn't see any roller or ball bearings). A friend owns an old mill building right on the Central Falls/Lincoln town line. It still has a belt and pulley system running about 60 feet along the ceiling, which I guess was the main power "bus" from the waterwheel in the Blackstone River.

And Providence USED TO BE a great place to get stuff, but a lot of the places have shut down. You could get a motor or generator rewound at Eastern Armature, plating done at ACME or several places, machining at Simplex, automotive paint and supplies at Cooper-Lewis, and the people were helpful and knowledgeable. Those were the most prominent ones. There were several in all categories. Some of those places are still there, but just hanging on.
flat38

Post by flat38 »

I have run into that issue with Grainger many years ago, but for at least the last 15 or 20 years the local ones here in Washington have sold retail. It may be up to the individual stores and not corporate policy. The stores here have a catchall number that they put in the "account" box for retail sales.

Return to “General topics”