Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Electra Glide Revival

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Chill,
chill cowboy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

"With their doo-rags, chaps and chain drive wallets driving their H-D edition ford with their bike on a trailer."

I love it! I started to really see that phenomena back in the eighties when the Evo's came out. I was out their on my shovelhead and was often told that I should get rid of my old AMF crap and buy a "real Harley", by people who had more money into their wardrobes than I had into my bike, and couldn't be bothered to change their own oil. Their fucking doo-rags cost as much as a set of clutch plates. These guys tended to be middle aged wealthy posers whose idea of their badass motorcycle club was the Harley Owners Group, or HOG. They would get together at dealer sponsored events (I realize that in itself wasn't a new thing) and show off their bling. Mostly weekend warriors. But as far as I was concerned I was the one who had a real H-D, and when something went wrong I could usually deal with it on the spot, whereas these guys would send for their wives to come with their gigantic brand new pickup truck and trailer that they bought for the bike. I realized these were the kind of people the MoCo wanted as their customer base, not me. But that's okay, because I really enjoy older Harley-Davidsons for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the company. I like the relative simplicity, styling and mostly the torque. I've had a lot of other bikes, too. Possibly my favorite was my '73 Norton Commando.
droptopford
Bikes: ...
48 EL
57 FLH
78 FLH
86 FXST
98 ROAD KING
66 Honda CL 160 Scrambler

Post by droptopford »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:54 pm "With their doo-rags, chaps and chain drive wallets driving their H-D edition ford with their bike on a trailer."

I love it! I started to really see that phenomena back in the eighties when the Evo's came out. I was out their on my shovelhead and was often told that I should get rid of my old AMF crap and buy a "real Harley", by people who had more money into their wardrobes than I had into my bike, and couldn't be bothered to change their own oil. Their fucking doo-rags cost as much as a set of clutch plates. These guys tended to be middle aged wealthy posers whose idea of their badass motorcycle club was the Harley Owners Group, or HOG. They would get together at dealer sponsored events (I realize that in itself wasn't a new thing) and show off their bling. Mostly weekend warriors. But as far as I was concerned I was the one who had a real H-D, and when something went wrong I could usually deal with it on the spot, whereas these guys would send for their wives to come with their gigantic brand new pickup truck and trailer that they bought for the bike. I realized these were the kind of people the MoCo wanted as their customer base, not me.
All of what you say is true and I've seen plenty of it. But not all the MoCo's new Evo customers were rubs and yups. A lot of 'Angels' were buying and riding and digging those new durable motors. (One of mine came that route)

I've had no use for H-D since their corporate lawyers went after Bill's Cycle. I'm not gonna buy that new retro-Glide or anything else they're offering. I still think as new bikes go, it's pretty cool.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

droptopford wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm
Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:54 pm "With their doo-rags, chaps and chain drive wallets driving their H-D edition ford with their bike on a trailer."

I love it! I started to really see that phenomena back in the eighties when the Evo's came out. I was out their on my shovelhead and was often told that I should get rid of my old AMF crap and buy a "real Harley", by people who had more money into their wardrobes than I had into my bike, and couldn't be bothered to change their own oil. Their fucking doo-rags cost as much as a set of clutch plates. These guys tended to be middle aged wealthy posers whose idea of their badass motorcycle club was the Harley Owners Group, or HOG. They would get together at dealer sponsored events (I realize that in itself wasn't a new thing) and show off their bling. Mostly weekend warriors. But as far as I was concerned I was the one who had a real H-D, and when something went wrong I could usually deal with it on the spot, whereas these guys would send for their wives to come with their gigantic brand new pickup truck and trailer that they bought for the bike. I realized these were the kind of people the MoCo wanted as their customer base, not me.
All of what you say is true and I've seen plenty of it. But not all the MoCo's new Evo customers were rubs and yups. A lot of 'Angels' were buying and riding and digging those new durable motors. (One of mine came that route)

I've had no use for H-D since their corporate lawyers went after Bill's Cycle. I'm not gonna buy that new retro-Glide or anything else they're offering. I still think as new bikes go, it's pretty cool.
I don't know too much about it, although my neighbor was HA and we got along ok, but my understanding is they were required as prospects to buy a new bike. I suppose if they did a lot of riding they didn't want to be held up by someone's less than dependable machine. Even though they started out in CA on knuckleheads, panheads and Sportsters.

I'm not going to buy any new H-D because; (1) I can't afford one, and (2) to me they just don't have the "soul" or whatever you want to call it, of the old ones. I have two Twin Cams besides my pan and shovel and they're very smooth, dependable bikes, but they don't do it for me like my older bikes.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

I won’t buy a new HD until they offer a cellphone text jammer! It really has gotten bad, at least in Daytona, having to honk at every stoplite to get people off their phones and pay attention to driving.

Anyway, that’s the accessory I want, a 100 yard cellphone jammer!

Andygears
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Andygears wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:23 am I won’t buy a new HD until they offer a cellphone text jammer! It really has gotten bad, at least in Daytona, having to honk at every stoplite to get people off their phones and pay attention to driving.

Anyway, that’s the accessory I want, a 100 yard cellphone jammer!

Andygears
Right on. I think I'd rather ride among a road full of drunks than cell phone junkies. At least most of the time the drunks are paying attention trying to get home without getting pulled over. (If anyone here has lost someone to a drunk driver, I apologize - I'm not making light of the situation. I'm just using this as an analogy to stress how much I hate cell phone use on the roads). I'm sure all of us have lots of infuriating stories of cell phone zombies running red lights, stop signs, driving right at you, etc.
old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Post by old man emu »

Around my way, it seems that new Harleys are like arseholes - everyone's got one. Noisy damned things. Rippin' and roarin' up and down residential streets, and from the main road half a mile away I hear then dragging off the traffic lights. And all of them going out for Sunday rides, decked out in their leathers with their jackets covered with patches, to meet up at out-of-the-way pubs for lunch and a few beers. Then in their intoxicated bravado they drop their chrome plated monsters on some tricky corner on the way home.

I just love riding by these pubs, quietly, and dressed in a blue denim jacket and jeans. And if the bike stops working, it's usually a loose wire that takes a few minutes to find and fix. Servicing? That's what I have a space in my garage, a box of tools and a maintenance manual for.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

old man emu wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 pm Around my way, it seems that new Harleys are like arseholes - everyone's got one. Noisy damned things. Rippin' and roarin' up and down residential streets, and from the main road half a mile away I hear then dragging off the traffic lights. And all of them going out for Sunday rides, decked out in their leathers with their jackets covered with patches, to meet up at out-of-the-way pubs for lunch and a few beers. Then in their intoxicated bravado they drop their chrome plated monsters on some tricky corner on the way home.

I just love riding by these pubs, quietly, and dressed in a blue denim jacket and jeans. And if the bike stops working, it's usually a loose wire that takes a few minutes to find and fix. Servicing? That's what I have a space in my garage, a box of tools and a maintenance manual for.
Back when Evo's came out and all the yuppies bought them I was at a biker bar where this "newbee" was revving the piss out of his new bagger with his straight pipes, trying to call all attention to himself as he prepared to make his grand exit. He forgot to disable his fork lock and when he let out the clutch he just nose-dived into the parking lot. That got him a lot of attention.

Return to “General topics”