General topics, not related to any other category
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Chrome Shop

Post by RooDog »

Fellas....
I'm sure this is an old topic, but many former answers are out if date what with so many businesses closing down of late, like the one who did excellent work right here in town, or an other just 50 miles down the road from here.

Anybody have a lead on a good chrome plating service in the eastern States?
I have two short pipes that need to be brightened up.... HELP....

....RooDog....
Ready for Finish Coating..JPG
Ready for Finish Coating..JPG (141.36 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: Chrome Shop

Post by Andygears »

Hey Roo, down here in Florida, the guys restoring shiny bikes use “Space Coast Plating” in Melbourne. Their reputation is for excellent work and for being quite high priced. I personally have not used them, but friends have with no complaints.

Andygears
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Thank You Andy....
I sent them a pic and a query.

Received an estimate from another shop, Paul's Chrome Plating in Evans City, PA, for $225 per each.
That is going to be a tough number to beat....LOL, Wink, Wink....

Smitty's Chrome Shop in Oshkosh, NE, is much more acceptable @ $180 for both, which I can live with as I am not having any other chrome work done on this project....

I had used Jet Hot ceramic coating in the past, but with chrome mufflers, the dull aluminum look of the coating just didn't fit in with the other brightwork. Yes the pipes were bright & shiny when new, but heat cycling, ozone, and UVs took their toll....
1995.11.jpg
1995.11.jpg (149.85 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
....RooDog....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Andy....
Got this reply from SCP:

Thank you for the inquiry and picture. You can figure approximately $60.00 to $75.00 per foot on the exhaust pipes. A 6% metals fee, sales tax and any return shipping is added to all jobs. We do ask for a 50% (cash or check only) deposit in order to get them in line to run. Turnaround time is approximately 10 to 12 weeks right now. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Spacecoast Plating
975 Aurora Rd.
Melbourne, FL 32935
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Fellas....
I haven't had any custom chrome work done in about five years, at that time it was for my Project Panny, or my 1951 FORD Panel Tuck, since then my local chrome shop closed its door, so I have not been keeping up with that industry. Now my current project, resurrecting a 1968 Shovelhead only needs these repaired and reconfigured pipes plated to be the final touch. I have no other custom chroming to be done, so I'll go ahead, bite the bullet, and spend what ever it will take to get them plated. I'm not pleased with the pricing, but it seems to be the going rate, and I'm sure the work will be well done by the nationally known Advanced Plating here in Tennessee, located north of Nashville in Portland.
....RooDog....
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Glad you found a plater you’re agreeable with. Post the results and the cost, all told, when you get them back.

Andygears
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Andy...
Chrome plating, like a lot of other things, often looks great when new "fresh out of the oven", it takes time to know how it will hold up to heat, moisture, and abrasion. I chose Advanced for three reasons, 1) they are home boys, being out of Nashville. 2) Their pricing seemed to be in line with estimates I received from other vendors, I threw out the lowest and highest bids. And three, is I have noticed over the years a lot of top named car and MC builders send their stuff to Advance.
In the old days, the late 1960s, I would drive to Louisville from Lexington, KY, for the bright stuff. Each piece was inspected and priced right there by The Man at the counter. Two weeks later I would again make that trip, about 80 miles one way, for delivery. Again, each piece was unwrapped and inspected for my approval, and re-done in necessary. It may have taken my whole pay check, but the results and quality were superb. I recently sold some pieces from those days, and the chrome work still looked good, well compared to the condition of the rest of those old used parts, LOL.....
This is the last go-around for that Shovelhead, and want it to still be good for its inheritor.....
....RooDog....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

OK, I made my commitment and sent the pipes to Advanced Plating, posted them Monday and were delivered Wednesday. Being semi local, the USPS Regional Flat Rate postage was only $10.60. Now awaiting a firm quote upon the plater's inspection. We'll see how much I'll need to eBay to cover that cost....
Stay tuned.....RooDog....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Got my quote,$275.86, + return UPS and what ever else they choose to tack on, but I's gotta have 'em plated, so I sent 1/2 down payment to get the work started. Since this is the only chrome I am farming out, I'll just have to live with it. This sure ain't like it was in the "ol' daze"....
Advanced Plating, 4-27-2021.jpg
Advanced Plating, 4-27-2021.jpg (195.85 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Looks like they dipped these pipes in something or another, they are darker than when I sent them a week ago. There never was a question asked about them being used exhaust tubing, so that's a good thing. I've heard some Cr shops won't do used pipes, 'fraid the carbon, etc, will mess up their tanks.....
....RooDog....
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

Post by Raytag »

I haven`t seen such things for ages. The last time I visited such a joint was probably 20 yrs ago and I was glad to get out again cause it was so hot inside.
Many companies have disappeared because of EPA rulings eg city-council provides space for new homes and therefore coming too close to such company premesis and of course exploding power costs.
Some years ago one fella who has a business for polishing tools (surgery/machining) told me it`s not so much about the contamination of the "bath" but about economics. All of these companies provide mass production so once they`re chroming 100.000 new cloth hanger for a chain of fashion outlets why should they waste their time with your handle bar or your muffler ?
They first pickle used parts anyway so the left carbon in the pipes isn`t of concern for the "chrome bath" These are 2 independent shop floors I was told.
Yea 275 dollares is a lot but they`re many manual steps involved

Looks like they just de-chromed/de-nickel them.

Thanks for sharing RD. Like I said: Haven`t seen such things for a long time.

Ray
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Ray....
Yes, I agree, economics rules most all businesses, and wars too.
The local shop I had been using located in an isolated industrial area near the Tennessee River had been doing reconditioned car bumpers since before I discovered them in the late 1970s. When cars, not so much trucks, started going to rubber like covered bumpers surely their business took a hit. Perhaps a change in ownership, but then they started doing custom chroming of vintage car and MC parts. They did excellent work, both local and mail order. They were always busy so turnaround time was slow, but the prices were quite acceptable, like $25 per foot for pipes. But then the owner, and head worker, first semi-retired, and Jim took to running the biz. That was still OK. After about a three year break I took some work to them, and they were shut down. A next door shop, Scott's Hotrods, told me about their closing, but offered no details.
I had vised Knox Custom Chrome's facility often, poorly lighted, smelly from the chems, It was hot, and dirty work. I would bet that skilled hired help is getting harder and harder to find. The owner, Gary, actually worked in the shop doing welding and repairs on parts.
A buddy who owns, and works, the last big radiator shop in town has the same labor problems.
If it can't be done with a computer, or a smart phone, nobody wants to do it......
So my continuing story is just another tale of the 21st century....
.....Ride Hard....RooDog....

Return to “General topics”