FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

A visit to the local MOCO dealer today

Post by panhead_kicker »

The dealership has ONE devoted rider in their midst. I see this bike there in all seasons. 20 F at 4:00pm, it was below zero to start the day.
devoted all-season rider
devoted all-season rider
IMG_3584.JPG (174.9 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

Re: A visit to the local MOCO dealer today

Post by Raytag »

:mrgreen:

I did that in my youth cause I was still saving for a car and car licence. Some 25mls one way to work.
Throughout that winter my 1973 750-Trumpet and me shared some experiences LOL
Riding on snow with 2 wheels wasn`t that much fun but somewhat manageable and yes I flip-flopped a few times but it was always in the very last stage
of motion. Like in front of the garage or once with maybe 2in of snow waitinh at a red light I lost balance with both feet on the ground ! I flatbellied and didn`t know what happened LOL
Of course all car drivers and truckies around me cracking up but everyone helping me immidiately. In those times everyone understood: The man gotta go to work. If he could drive by car he would drive with a car.
Nowadays they would take pics with their phones , upload them rightaway and starting a shitstorm why I am endangering mankind and must be tied up in a straight jacket at once.

Between the shop I worked and home there was this long straight shot maybe 2mls long with 2 lanes for each direction separated with guard rails. An elevated road cause this area is prone to flooding.
With almost spring and no more snow I kickstarted the bike like every other day around 5:30am I noticed the windshields of the neighbors cars were frozen.
It must had been humid throughout the night. With boots scrubbing over the tarmac hmm all good

With no one else around, I approached that particular straight stretch. I checked the condition with one boot. OK.
Decelerating a lil to maybe 40mph and aiming for the middle of the 2 lanes again I put down one foot to check for ice. Nothing.

A second later the rubber sole was slidding.
With my heart stop beating, shitting myselves I didn`t dare putting down the other leg down scarred for tipping the balance.
Soon I realized that I was heading slowly towards the guard rails, couldn`t understand why, but later figured because of the drainage
gradient of the road. I slid towards the guards with me straight up ?! :shock:
Another heartattack later, with some 2 or 3ft room to spare I noticed grip below my boot I steered towards the middle of the road again. Arriving at the shop I was still soaking wet.

So, looking at this pic with this 1000lbs E-Glide I do have a hell of a respect for this fella cause I`m guessing with such a bike he may have some change left over for some sort of a car. You know: Selecting your favorite station on the radio and humming along. Adjusting the temps for not cooking your feet.
But no. He keeps on riding this ship.
Holy crap. Kudos.

Ray
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Got caught in the snow a couple of times. No fun - stopping in particular. I was once one of those people who only had a bike and had to go to work, but luckily I got a car before winter set in. Plenty of 40 mile commutes in the cold and rain, though. Lots of respect for those that have to do that. As for riding voluntarily in crappy weather, I'm getting too old for that. Did it enough times. I still try to ride once in a while throughout the winter if the roads are clear. It was 53°F a couple of days ago (snowing right now) and I saw a guy out on a Guzzi near my house. I was tempted, but there's too much sand on the roads around my house.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Must be an Australian build....
OME, don't have a cow, mate, I'm just funnin' because the picture is reversed, OK?
....RooDog....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

That rear tire isn't going to do much for you in the snow.

Return to “General topics”