Squashed Bird

Mounting

Knucklehead topics
USDP65
Bikes: 41WLD, 47WL,47FL, 58FL, 65FLH, 65FL

Squashed Bird

Post by USDP65 »

Howdy,
A want to mount a set of original squashed birds that I have on a '41 FL and need to drill holes for them in both fenders, I'm sure that I saw this covered here before and can't find anything. Can anyone help me with a mounting location for these please? pictures or measurements would be appreciated.
Thanks
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Squashed Bird

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Let me see, if I can get the fender down, from lip to first hole.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL
1940 U

My buddy said this will work,
he said the fender light was the governing placement.
Hope it helps.
Attachments
thumbnail (33).jpg
thumbnail (33).jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 722 times
thumbnail (30).jpg
thumbnail (30).jpg (142.6 KiB) Viewed 722 times
thumbnail (29).jpg
thumbnail (29).jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 722 times
thumbnail (28).jpg
thumbnail (28).jpg (107.11 KiB) Viewed 722 times
thumbnail (27).jpg
thumbnail (27).jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 722 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

For 1941 the fender emblem goes directly on top parallel to the road surface, not on the down sloping curve. Deluxe models all had factory fender lights with the emblem behind them in that real estate between the lower horn mount and back of fender light. The rear fender emblem is centered on top and ends up directly under the luggage rack if one is fitted. If the bike was ordered with a factory sidecar and the deluxe sidecar package the emblem is mounted on the front of the fender pointing downhill.
In '42 it was all repeated but with the new for '42 Eagle fender tip added to the package.

Each year from '38-'42 had special fender trim pieces for Deluxe models.
In '38 flat profile full length top strips
In '39 flat profile full length top strips along with the new for '39 side fender strips.
In '40 three strips centered on the tops of the fenders, round profile center with smaller flat profile sides and the chevron below the fender light along with the side strips.
In '41 the squashed birds centered on top of the fenders along with the side strips
In '42 the squashed birds centered on top of the fenders, the side strips, and the new eagle fender tip.
Then from Jan '42-late '46 no trim at all.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL
1940 U

There you go, no specifics, but a general discourse on { }. But alas it did prompt a response. But my buddy said, for placement that dim should work, and the longer dim would place that bird parallel. Happ :lol: :lol: :D y birding.
RUBONE wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:18 am For 1941 the fender emblem goes directly on top parallel to the road surface, not on the down sloping curve. Deluxe models all had factory fender lights with the emblem behind them in that real estate between the lower horn mount and back of fender light. The rear fender emblem is centered on top and ends up directly under the luggage rack if one is fitted. If the bike was ordered with a factory sidecar and the deluxe sidecar package the emblem is mounted on the front of the fender pointing downhill.
In '42 it was all repeated but with the new for '42 Eagle fender tip added to the package.

Each year from '38-'42 had special fender trim pieces for Deluxe models.
In '38 flat profile full length top strips
In '39 flat profile full length top strips along with the new for '39 side fender strips.
In '40 three strips centered on the tops of the fenders, round profile center with smaller flat profile sides and the chevron below the fender light along with the side strips.
In '41 the squashed birds centered on top of the fenders along with the side strips
In '42 the squashed birds centered on top of the fenders, the side strips, and the new eagle fender tip.
Then from Jan '42-late '46 no trim at all.

Return to “Knucklehead”