Compensator Sprocket for 68 Shovel

Was this common?

All Shovelhead topics
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Compensator Sprocket for 68 Shovel

Post by Mongrel505558 »

My 68 FLH doesn't have a compensating sprocket. I have a 23 tooth motor sprocket (40210-55). I see there are 23 and 24 tooth versions for FLH's in the 41-84 Parts Book. My 81 shovel had a compensating sprocket and I never had any problems with it. Is the older FL compensating sprocket (40271-65A) notorious for any problems?

My primary chain is also extremely loose - so loose that with the tensioner assembly flipped it's still loose. I bought a new primary chain, but haven't had a chance to install it yet. I don't know how far that will go in solving the looseness problem, but I plan to do it anyway. I could go up to a 24 tooth motor sprocket, but I don't want to change the torque characteristics of the bike. Was a 24 tooth motor sprocket, compensator or otherwise, ever offered as factory installed in any of the line back in the late sixties?

Jim
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Compensator Sprocket for 68 Shovel

Post by RooDog »

Jim....
I run a 24T motor sprocket on my '68, have done so for years. I don't use a compensator as when I tried one, I saw no appreciable improvement to justify more moving parts to potentially cause problems. As you know, the internal Bellville spring discs do collapse over time. So that problem is off my table....
I do use a Fisher Damper on both my Big Twins, but no comps.....
DSC03054.JPG
This version of the Fisher/Terry utilizes the stock comp splined sleeve and sprocket without the comp's spring pack.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Most civilian production '68s were equipped with compensator sprockets ( due to their popularity with dealers as an add on) of the -55 type, the -65 only differs in lack of a grease zerk in the nut. Most police and commercial units did not use them and had solid sprockets. All were coil spring type, the Bellville washer type did not appear until the '70s. FLHs had 24 tooth engine sprockets and FLs had 23. All size the info is in the riders handbook.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Good info, Robbie.
I used what I had laying around, which was the Bellvelle style comps. I suppose the big coil spring style never gave any problem, or did they?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

RooDog wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:34 pm Good info, Robbie.
I used what I had laying around, which was the Bellvelle style comps. I suppose the big coil spring style never gave any problem, or did they?
They could, more so on the dry primaries than the 65-'69 enclosed. They needed regular greasing which was often neglected so there can be excessive wear on the ramps. Very rarely a spring broke allowing a horrendous racket.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

RUBONE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm
RooDog wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:34 pm Good info, Robbie.
They could, more so on the dry primaries than the 65-'69 enclosed. They needed regular greasing which was often neglected so there can be excessive wear on the ramps. Very rarely a spring broke allowing a horrendous racket.
Ah, yes, the MoCo couldn't tolerate a component that would last for ever. And as a rider I try to avoid items that require constant looking after, hence, belt drives, and electronic ignitions. Airless tires would be nice too....LOL....
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:39 pm Jim....
I run a 24T motor sprocket on my '68, have done so for years. I don't use a compensator as when I tried one, I saw no appreciable improvement to justify more moving parts to potentially cause problems. As you know, the internal Bellville spring discs do collapse over time. So that problem is off my table....
I do use a Fisher Damper on both my Big Twins, but no comps.....
DSC03054.JPG

This version of the Fisher/Terry utilizes the stock comp splined sleeve and sprocket without the comp's spring pack.....
Do you notice much of a difference with the dampener?
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Jim....
I can neither endorse nor condemn the Fisher/Terry damper, it's been so long since I ran without one. I have always had one on my Big Red Evo, FXR primary, and on my Shovelhead since back in the 1990s. The Shovel, with its Sputhe 5 Speed, and highway gearing, was capable of running with The Club on many interstate runs, so I suppose it did its job.
The one currently on the SH is an eBay item, using the stock sprocket, and the one on the Evo has an integral sprocket. They both were way below MSRP, and probably do work as advertised. I do not believe they are still in production.
....RooDog....
PS: If you can fit a belt drive, then none of this primary chain foolishness will be relevant....
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Jim....
I can neither endorse nor condemn the Fisher/Terry damper, it's been so long since I ran without one. I have always had one on my Big Red Evo, FXR primary, and on my Shovelhead since back in the 1990s. The Shovel, with its Sputhe 5 Speed, and highway gearing, was capable of running with The Club on many interstate runs, so I suppose it did its job.
The one currently on the SH (pictured) is an eBay item, using the stock sprocket, and the one on the Evo has an integral sprocket. They both were way below MSRP, and probably do work as advertised. I do not believe they are still in production.
....RooDog....
PS: If you can fit a belt drive, then none of this primary chain foolishness will be relevant....
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 am Jim....
The one currently on the SH (pictured) is an eBay item, using the stock sprocket, and the one on the Evo has an integral sprocket. They both were way below MSRP, and probably do work as advertised. I do not believe they are still in production.
....RooDog....
I definitely think about the belt drive often - especially since I'm having a hell of a time getting the primary case to not leak. But there are so many other expensive things that need to be done first, like stripping and re-painting the frame and swingarm, new tires, splitting the re-joining the cases to get a seam that doesn't leak, whatever head or top end in general work is necessary (smokes a little), some front end work, etc. I got this bike completely disassembled, including the motor, and I put it together in about two weeks just to see what else, if anything, was needed, with the intention of taking it all down again and taking my time to restore it as original as possible. I know it's a 68 and not as collectible as many other models, but it means something to me.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Jim....
I think the 1968 FL was a great motorcycle. I see nothing wrong with that year model, and restored, should be just as desirable as any of the other early Shovelheads. Parts are reasonably easy to acquire because of their common use on both earlier and later production bikes. And I like the '68 because it represents the year I got into Harleys, and the fact that I own one, though it is too far gone to ever be restored.
I'm with you, Bro, on this project.
PS: I will try to run a flooded primary this go-around, as I had absolutely no luck from Karata with their belt system, hoping I can seal it. I will be venting it through the transmission, as the 5-speeds do since I am running a Sputhe fiver.........
....RooDog....
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:34 pm Jim....
I think the 1968 FL was a great motorcycle. I see nothing wrong with that year model, and restored, should be just as desirable as any of the other early Shovelheads. Parts are reasonably easy to acquire because of their common use on both earlier and later production bikes. And I like the '68 because it represents the year I got into Harleys, and the fact that I own one, though it is too far gone to ever be restored.
I'm with you, Bro, on this project.
PS: I will try to run a flooded primary this go-around, as I had absolutely no luck from Karata with their belt system, hoping I can seal it. I will be venting it through the transmission, as the 5-speeds do since I am running a Sputhe fiver.........
....RooDog....
To me 68 was a sort of transition year in terms of styling between the earlier two years that were basically similar to the Panhead Electra-Glide and the later Shovelheads. Things like fender tips, air cleaner cover, chrome covers for rear master cylinder, shifter bracket, etc., were evolving into the "modern" Shovelhead look, but still had that round tube swingarm stance. Since I've owned both pans and shovels I'm very comfortable wrenching on this bike. Regarding venting the primary - someone tapped and plugged the hole for the primary chain oiler in the inner case, so I have to fab something so I can run a vent hose to atmosphere to relieve the pressure build up as the inside temperature increases.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

One could use either the original chain oiler fitting/hole, or the original vent hose fitting as it will no longer be T'ed to the engine.... Just run it up and bend it over to keep water & dust out. One of those breather filters makes sense here, sorta...
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:05 pm One could use either the original chain oiler fitting/hole, or the original vent hose fitting as it will no longer be T'ed to the engine.... Just run it up and bend it over to keep water & dust out. One of those breather filters makes sense here, sorta...
Problem is the chain oiler fitting hole has been hogged out to fit a pipe plug, so the original fitting no longer fits.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Then it matters not which of the two fittings on the back of the primary you choose to vent from....

Return to “Shovelhead”