84 FLH

Interesting Bike

All Shovelhead topics
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

84 FLH

Post by Mongrel505558 »

An old timer auto mechanic my wife and I are friendly with called me yesterday to ask if I could come down to his shop. He was attempting to get his 82 FLH running after sitting in the back room of the shop for over 20 years. I agreed and met him there. He already had the air cleaner off and said when he turns on the fuel (fresh gas, at least) it flows out of the float bowl overflow tube all over the floor. I pulled the float bowl (carb is H-D part number 27494-81, which I believe is a Keihin) and while he cleaned out the sediment I removed the screw holding the float pin and removed the float/needle. Sprayed carb cleaner up into the seat and cleaned the needle tip. Also polished the pin with emery paper. Put it back together and the overflowing is stopped (for now). He had installed a fresh battery, and the bike fired right up. It ran with choke, but took a while before it could idle without choke. The carb really needs to be removed and disassembled, sit in a can of carb cleaner for a couple of days, blown out and reassembled with new O-rings, gaskets, etc. Also needs new intake rubber bands. Sprayed some carb cleaner at them and revs changed. I'm going to help him out with the bike so I'll bring my bubble-test stopper when we have the new rubber bands.

My first H-D was an 81 shovel (Low Rider). This 84 is quite different. Full dresser with fairing, rubber mounted motor, and 5-speed gearbox. It's in great shape. Has 6,000 miles on it. It also appears to be completely untouched from the factory. Not my choice for a shovel - too much stuff on it, but still an interesting Shovelhead from the transition year to Evo.

Return to “Shovelhead”