not wanting to start cold

Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: not wanting to start cold

Post by Cotten »

Hog54!

A flooded bike can start on the third kick.
You might have it down to an art.

Anything more than a rich mixture is a waste.

Doesn't a Keihin have a choke or enrichener?
Just trying to learn about modern carburetors....

....Cotten
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Hog54 wrote:....I usually give it about 10-15 squirts before I start kicking ...............
I think I've seen you on U-tube.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

HOG ....wow 2 squirts would be more than enough ! that much fuel would be washing away the oil that is LUBRICATING those cylinders.... I think you have found a way to overcome "your" vacume leak that you didnt know you have....... hows your oil smell?
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel »

manual advance. I'm getting rid of the CV for other reasons also I just got a spark ignition tester and will be testing the fine tuning of the timing. the spark on the front head looks strong I'm working a lot of hours so its going to take awhile to get anything done on her. after the timing I'll go through the intake and make sure there aren't any leaks I made a special plate for just that reason. she just seemed to get steadily worse as the winter dragged on. First she started third kick then 12th with a little kick back. then kick till you were hoarse, stop, breath, and it would start on the sixth now it just wont start at all. just likes to kick me twice as hard as I kick her. but all this time (until now) no matter how hard she was to start cold. get it all warmed up and going then shut it off for 2 minutes to an hour and she's a one kicker (even with spectators). I know these questions are posted on here all the time but she really has me at my wits end. I'm about ready to load her up in the truck and take her to my mechanic. and I hate doing it I prefer to do my own work.... would an intake leak make it kick back?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

doug_heisel wrote: .... would an intake leak make it kick back?
Doug!

Yes.

....Cotten
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Doug,

When you get around to checking the intake system for leaks, make sure you test ALL the possible leak locations, like at the intake, the carb/flanges, and, most importantly, the inserts AT THE HEADS. This might mean pulling the intake off and using a rubber stopper in the intake hole, but do it, and don't quit until it's 100% leak free. Even a tiny little "I ain't gonna worry about that little thing" WILL get worse, especially if it's at the insert/head junction. Don't ask me how I know... :(

-Kuda
'49 panchop
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Kuda!

You forgot the pan cover screw over each intake port,
as evil can lurk within.

With a possessed motor, one should spray the whole thing down, as one never knows where a casting porosity or microcrack can telegraph air under vacuum.

(Equivalent to a full 14.7 psi at sea level at that.)

....Cotten
Paughco
Bikes: 1950 H-D FL, 2016 BMW S1000XR

Post by Paughco »

Every machine is different. Mine had a '86 Keihin and I used to give it six squirts of throttle with six kicks, but once I found out that this little tiny o-ring from the rebuild kit goes "right there" it only takes two shots of prime. So now it's: Fuel On. Choke (enrichener) on. Twist. Kick. Twist. Kick. Ignition on. Throttle cracked. Kick. (kick, kick) and she fires up.

Seeya
ATB
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Paughco wrote:Every machine is different....
ATB!

Except when they run Linkerts.

(Or even DLX Scheblers for that matter. The rider handbook starting drill for H-Ds, Indians, and other marques was virtually the same from about 1928 through 1965 at least.
American motorcycles would never have been practical, much less legendary, for Police or War duty if you never knew how the next machine wanted to start.)

A priming effort should not get the plugs wet.

If you must flood the machine to start, you most likely have a vacuum leak.

....Cotten

Return to “Troubleshooting”