Trouble starting when hot

panheadcrazy

Trouble starting when hot

Post by panheadcrazy »

I have a 48 restored, stock PAN. It runs good, starts good, 1st or 2nd kick when cold. However, it can be difficult to start when hot. It will often starts up on the first kick when hot, but if it doesn't, then I often have to wait till it cools down a bit before I'm able to start it. Any suggestions?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Trouble starting when hot

Post by Panacea »

Hi PHC, what carb are you running? Do you use a choke when it's cold? If she won't start when hot, have you tryed holding the throttle wide open? Have you tested the intake for leaks? Do a search here for intake leak, you will find good info for testing. Keep us posted ,someone here has probably run into the same problem and will chime in shortly. Good luck, Mike
panheadcrazy

Post by panheadcrazy »

Thanks Mike, I run the stock Linkert. I use standard operating procedure when starting cold, you know, retard spark, prime engine, etc. etc. .I usually start it hot with throttle half to three-quarters open, and I have done it all the way open also. I have not noticed a difference. But I will check intake for leaks. Thanks, PHC
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Holes get bigger when they get warm.
So when cold, the vacuum leak may be hard to find.
When pressuretesting, inspect it for several minutes to make certain that no tiny 'blisters' or 'beards' of tiny foam form over time.

And on Pans, always remember to test the pancover screw over each intake port!

.....Cotten
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Cotton how do i get one of your intake testing gizmo's
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Pantony,
mbskeam sold me one of his and it works great! He even modified it so I could use it on either 3 or 4 bolt Linkerts because I have both Panheads and Flatheads.
Jump in here Mike and hook the boy up!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

The first step should definitely be a leak check on the intake. Try holding the throttle an eighth to a quarter open for hot starts, or even keep the throttle closed. Pans seem to flood easily, so if it has not started after a couple of kicks, wind the throttle full open and kick with the ignition on. Four or five kicks ought to do it.
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Post by Rammy »

I have had this same hot problem too. I popped the air cleaner off when the engine was hot and parked for a while and looked in that linkert to find a thick fog of gas vapor swarming around in there . I think that is what floods them when they are hot and you shut it down. when I shut my pan off hot I leave the throttle wide open to let the vapor escape and mix with fresh air, then shut the throttle the next time I start it up. this seems to help most of the time.

Return to “Troubleshooting”