Won't stand up and run

woodie47

Won't stand up and run

Post by woodie47 »

Description: Soon as you stand it up to ride starts missing and dies

49 Pan with a S&S carb, stock circut breaker. Starts and runs on the kick stand but soon as you stand it up to ride starts missing and dies. Any ideas?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Won't stand up and run

Post by caschnd1 »

I'm not very familiar with S&S carbs but is it possible that the float is out of adjustment?

-Craig
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

This may be a stupid question, but are the tank/s full of gas ?
Ding

Post by Ding »

Woodie,

What S&S Carb...B, E, G, L? I think your float is out of adjustment OR you have an electical short. Not a total ground out but just enough to arc and cause the sputtering.

I run an E on my 86"er. S&S carbs are great and I have an idea that they run so well on Pans because they are basically a GIANT linkert. With that, even at 86 inches, Sifton 440 Crusader Cam, and a Morris Mag, I have mine jetted way down (70/.028). She will still flood in a second but is burning right. Just gotta be carefull because an S&S is almost more carb than a pan can handle.

Ding
woodie47

Post by woodie47 »

I just rebuilt the carb and set the float to the spec. in the owners manual , so I dont think that its the float level. Gas poured out of the overflow sometimes before I rebuilt it. Now no gas from the overflow but the same problem. Tanks are full, and I checked to see that gas is flowing in the standing position. I cant see what elec. could change with position. Keep gu7essin. Thanks
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Gotta be electrical if it's that quick, vacuum/flow problems would take a while to show up. I'd say check the ignition wires, plug wires, heck, even the ignition switch wires. Something's GOT to be loose...

-Kuda
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
is your ground wire at the batt. okay?
if you think it elect, pull the dash and meter out the switch with it on the stand and then not on the stand, maybe if you have a bad wire you will find it this way....but don't hold your breath. elect problems can be a pain to find some times.

are you sure it ain't the carb?

the last thing to look at might be the dist. at the point at which the wire hooks up to the body and goes thru the dist to the points. it might be grounding out here.
my wire was worn thru from the dist moving back and forth (ret, adv.) put on a piece of heat shrink tube to fix and put it back together..

good hunting........

mbskeam

you can have it all...........my empire of dirt

Return to “Troubleshooting”