Front-end wobble

vmoheat

Front-end wobble

Post by vmoheat »

I have been following this forum for a few years and have always seemed to find the answer to my question. so this is my first post.
My 1960 FL has a wobble while slowing down. It goes down the road just fine, is not sloppy or loose,but when you slow down and lighten up on your grip it will start to wobble. If you hold o with just a little pressure the wobble goes away.
I did just recently remove the legs to reseal them and I had a hard time getting the right leg back through the tree. When I was done I filled it with extra heavy-duty fork oil and I added an extra half ounce. I tied tightening the head nut, it is as tight as I can go. On the lift there is no notable wobble in the front end.
Any Ideas?
Thanks to all!
Vince
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Front-end wobble

Post by RUBONE »

How are your swingarm bearings? Adjusted properly? And your rear wheel bearings/end play? Lots of head shake and wobble begins in the rear end!
Robbie
vmoheat

Post by vmoheat »

Thank you Robbie,
My rear lugs were all very loose. I had tightened them down at the beginning of the season, guess I have to check them more often. Anyway, they are Loctited and retorqued. A quick test ride has the bike running much better. There is still a tiny bit of wobble once in a while, but I know a new tire is due on the rear. I built this bike and thought I knew every inch of it, but sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.
Again, Thank you!
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Worm tires can contribute to wobble also. I just replaced my old, almost-slick Coker Commanders with Duro HF302B, and the wobble I used to have is gone.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I dealt with the WoBbLe too.....i checked ever thing.... front wheel bearings-spokes-neck race bearings adjustment-forks lower legs-lug bolts....and all was OK.....Then i put the FLH on the lift with both wheels in the AIR.....and checked the swing arm bearings-rear wheel spokes- and the lug nuts and all was as tight as possible......THEN as i spun the rear tire....I took a look at it and seen HOW THE TREAD AREA was flat from the "Flat Lands of Kansas".....i pulled the rear tire off and replaced it with a new Dunlop....and all my issues were Fixed....I now have a wonderful handling FLH again.....now its "smiles in my miles" !

Suck-squeese-BANG-Blow and down the road i Gooooooooooooo !
MotorCycleMike

Return to “Troubleshooting”