Stuck main nozzle rebuilding old M88 Linkert

All flathead topics
jschmidt425
Bikes: 42WLA, '14 Fat Bob

Stuck main nozzle rebuilding old M88 Linkert

Post by jschmidt425 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have tips to remove a stuck carb nozzle, ideally without destroying it? My grandpa's bike I'm restoring has been sitting for ~40 years; some other carb parts had glued themselves together but I had either enough leverage or an impact wrench to get things apart. The main nozzle (the one sticking up into the throat and holding the venturi in place) is the last thing I need to remove but it won't budge. I've had the whole thing soaking in solvent, penetrant, heated it but I'm out of ideas.

Worst case, I think I could stick a screw extractor down into the bottom end and pull it out but that would destroy it obviously - if it could be saved I'd prefer to do that.

While I'm on the topic of carb rebuilding, are there any other parts that would make sense to swap while I'm at it? The bike is a WLA VIN with a few military holdovers, but 95% civilian parts. I was going to swap the high speed needle out for an adjustable one, but are there other worthwhile upgrades or things I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joey
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Stuck main nozzle rebuilding old M88 Linkert

Post by RUBONE »

jschmidt425 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:22 am Hi all,

Does anyone have tips to remove a stuck carb nozzle, ideally without destroying it? My grandpa's bike I'm restoring has been sitting for ~40 years; some other carb parts had glued themselves together but I had either enough leverage or an impact wrench to get things apart. The main nozzle (the one sticking up into the throat and holding the venturi in place) is the last thing I need to remove but it won't budge. I've had the whole thing soaking in solvent, penetrant, heated it but I'm out of ideas.

Worst case, I think I could stick a screw extractor down into the bottom end and pull it out but that would destroy it obviously - if it could be saved I'd prefer to do that.

While I'm on the topic of carb rebuilding, are there any other parts that would make sense to swap while I'm at it? The bike is a WLA VIN with a few military holdovers, but 95% civilian parts. I was going to swap the high speed needle out for an adjustable one, but are there other worthwhile upgrades or things I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joey
You can feed a section of old throttle cable with an end on it down the main nozzle from inside the venturi and try pulling the main nozzle out. It usually will work. Worst case is run a tap into it, screw a bolt in it, and lever it out. Lots of info in the knowledge base.
And swap the venturi for a larger one. Make sure to notch it for venting or vent the body like a civilian carb.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

If you wreck it, there are thousands of them around, every 1-1/4" SV (and all common 1") Linkert uses the same one: 27331-33.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Had a couple that I couldn’t pull with the wire through the nozzle. I stuck a piece of square stock through the throat of the carb, rest the ends on the top of vice jaws and tap on the bowl stud. Once it breaks free they usually come out fairly easily.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”