Front axle is binding on 46U

All flathead topics
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by pan50head »

The front drum began rubbing against the edge of the backing plate so I replaced the excessively worn brass bushing in the center of the backing plate. I re-installed the parts. Before tightening the brake sleeve nut, I had to gently drive the axle through the brake sleeve and left rocker. After tightening the brake sleeve nut, the axle was very tight. The shackle was hard to install in the fork shackle mount. The shackle was crooked in relation to the mounts. Because everything is so tight, I am concerned that the rocker system will not allow the front wheel to go up and down. I am thinking that the hole through the backing plate is not in alignment with its proper axis. Has anyone tried aligning the hole? What is the best way to do this?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Front axle is binding on 46U

Post by 1950Panhead »

I am thinking that the hole through the backing plate is not in alignment with its proper axis. Has anyone tried aligning the hole? What is the best way to do this?
Yep, your shackle is bent, you are not the first and probably not the last.
Use a rod to bend it straight.
Also possible the post on brake drum is bent, I have seen both.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Also make sure your shackle is also on the right way, the offsets are not the same.
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by pan50head »

I was prepared to buy a new backing plate because that had to be the problem. After all, that is the only thing I modified by installing a new brass bushing. I decided to loosen everything and remove the shackle. After tightening the sleeve nut, I was able to shove the axle in with my hand and turn it by hand. The backing place was easily able to rotate. So, I concluded that the backing plate was fine.

I tried to install the shackle in what I believed was the proper orientation with the zerk fitting in the up position on the backing plate stud. It wouldn’t fit. I thought about bending the shackle to make it fit, but I think the shackle is cast and worried about breaking it. According to Palmer, it is the correct shackle with the correct casting numbers. So, I turned the shackle over with the zerk fitting pointing down and whammo, it fit like a glove. I know that the zerk fitting is supposed to be pointing up and don’t understand why the fitting was put where it is. Everything else buttoned up perfectly. I found a photo I took of the bike several years ago. The zerk fitting was pointing down. Thank you for your advice.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

pan50head wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:37 pm I was prepared to buy a new backing plate because that had to be the problem. After all, that is the only thing I modified by installing a new brass bushing. I decided to loosen everything and remove the shackle. After tightening the sleeve nut, I was able to shove the axle in with my hand and turn it by hand. The backing place was easily able to rotate. So, I concluded that the backing plate was fine.

I tried to install the shackle in what I believed was the proper orientation with the zerk fitting in the up position on the backing plate stud. It wouldn’t fit. I thought about bending the shackle to make it fit, but I think the shackle is cast and worried about breaking it. According to Palmer, it is the correct shackle with the correct casting numbers. So, I turned the shackle over with the zerk fitting pointing down and whammo, it fit like a glove. I know that the zerk fitting is supposed to be pointing up and don’t understand why the fitting was put where it is. Everything else buttoned up perfectly. I found a photo I took of the bike several years ago. The zerk fitting was pointing down. Thank you for your advice.
That is a 45 shackle. They are identical to the BT of the same era but oriented differently consequently the holes for the fitting are drilled differently. The casting number is the same.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”