DaveAus
Bikes: 1938 WLDR
1944 WL
1942 WLA
1952 KR
1993 Ultra

No Oil

Post by DaveAus »

I've recently completed a top end rebuild on my 45", during the top end job I had the cam cover off as I wanted to clean the cam chest out and do a few other things. This isn't the first top end I've done and everything went pretty smoothly.

I inspected the cam cover and blew out all the oil galleries and made sure I could blow air through the pinion shaft, I bled the lines and primed the pump during the process of reassembly.

I tipped oil into the bottom end to help with start up as I normally do and buttoned it up.

When I started the bike I had oil flowing back through the return line however once it cleaned out what was in the bottom of the cases it stopped returning oil.

After starting and stopping a few time with no oil returning I made the assumption that it must have been the feed pump (not that I've ever had any problems with feed pumps). I took that apart and cleaned it and tried again with no luck.

I've now replaced the pump completely and nothing. The scavenger pump is timed correctly and the only unusual thing I found while doing the top end was a home made oil pump gasket which I replaced with a correct one.

Any ideas, clue, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: No Oil

Post by RUBONE »

Did you prime the pump Dave? Make sure there isn't an air lock preventing flow? crack open the feed line at the pump until it leaks. You can pull the pressure switch to allow oil to flow out. Kick it through with no plugs until you get flow.
DaveAus
1944 WL
1942 WLA
1952 KR
1993 Ultra

Post by DaveAus »

Hi Robbie,

Hope you're well.

Yep, I cracked the feed pipe and let it leak and I also ran it with the oil pressure switch off and there was oil there.

I've been turning it over (without plugs) on my race start rollers and I cant seem to get anything to return.

My next plan is to roll it over with a funnel in the feed pump and see if oil is actually getting through.

I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest.

Cheers
Dave
rocket ron
Bikes: 1941 U
1958 FLE
1942 WLC bobber

Post by rocket ron »

Have you checked the endplay of the cam? I had one where the ‘rim’ of the bush disintegrated and the cam slid back disconnecting from the pump.
Just a thought.
Ron
DaveAus
1944 WL
1942 WLA
1952 KR
1993 Ultra

Post by DaveAus »

Thanks Ron,

Hadn't thought about that. I'll have a look.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”