Valve spring tool

All flathead topics
pan620
Bikes: 62 Duoglide, 48 Pan, 1990 FLHTCU

Valve spring tool

Post by pan620 »

Can someone show me a picture or link for a valve spring compressor I can use with out pulling the cylinder, 38 U Thanks
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Valve spring tool

Post by 1950Panhead »

The spring compressor needs a slot for the valve stem or adjust the tappet all the way down.
I saw one once that may be able.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

pan620 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:41 pm Can someone show me a picture or link for a valve spring compressor I can use with out pulling the cylinder, 38 U Thanks
This is the Factory tool. There are automotive types that are similar in function.
Attachments
DCP_3970.JPG
DCP_3970.JPG (94.92 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Post by Pascal »

harley bigtwin flathead u ul vl jd tool wl wla wlc military
Bieden
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1705885332 ... ialbuttons

Give Maurice a call, or sent him a mail

HDMAUS@outlook.com
pan620
Bikes: 62 Duoglide, 48 Pan, 1990 FLHTCU

Post by pan620 »

Thanks, wil look for one.
bianese
Bikes: Lots of BTSVs

Post by bianese »

I am still trying to figure out how to get the upper valve covers swapped out on a BTSV engine that has already been installed, buttoned up, and cranked. I had a "professional" build the engine and he installed VL top covers and shipped it back to me knowing it was like this. I know nothing about timing the valve train or valve adjustment. Can this be done w/out changing the settings it is at now. I have nobody anywhere close to me that works on the old bikes and my engine skills are very limited. Any ideas? Seadub
flat38

Post by flat38 »

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dY0AAOSw ... s-l300.jpg
The link is to a picture of a valve spring compressor for old Ford flatheads. It will work for HD flatheads. You do have to remove the heads but it can be done. Make sure to put the valves back in the same holes they came out of.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

I am still trying to figure out how to get the upper valve covers swapped out on a BTSV engine that has already been installed, buttoned up, and cranked. I had a "professional" build the engine and he installed VL top covers and shipped it back to me knowing it was like this. I know nothing about timing the valve train or valve adjustment. Can this be done w/out changing the settings it is at now. I have nobody anywhere close to me that works on the old bikes and my engine skills are very limited. Any ideas? Seadub What came to mind, was the BTSV maual, all you will ever need to know is in the manual. read, read, reread and embrace the challenge. There is no easy way, there is only the right way. If I can do it, you can do it. :roll: :roll:
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

bianese wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:09 pm I am still trying to figure out how to get the upper valve covers swapped out on a BTSV engine that has already been installed, buttoned up, and cranked. I had a "professional" build the engine and he installed VL top covers and shipped it back to me knowing it was like this. I know nothing about timing the valve train or valve adjustment. Can this be done w/out changing the settings it is at now. I have nobody anywhere close to me that works on the old bikes and my engine skills are very limited. Any ideas? Seadub
It is possible but tricky to do it with the heads on. With the heads off it is pretty simple, just time consuming. The issue with the heads on is that the valves can move up into the combustion chamber as the spring is compressed. Once the longer upper covers are installed it becomes even more tricky due to their longer length.
Again, heads off it is just take them apart one at a time, replace the upper cover and put it back together. Without loosening base nuts or anything other than the valve the tappets adjustment should be just what it was before, they don't need to be touched. And I don't know why timing gears were thrown into this mix as the cam cover never needs to be touched either.
It would require the correct upper covers, new upper cover to cylinder gaskets, and new head gaskets (unless they are copper in which case they can be annealed for re-use).

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”