Aluminum vs Iron Heads and Proper Gasket/Bolts

All flathead topics
jschmidt425
Bikes: 42WLA, '14 Fat Bob

Aluminum vs Iron Heads and Proper Gasket/Bolts

Post by jschmidt425 »

Planning my engine rebuild from my grandpa's old WL I'm restoring...I've already asked a few questions over time here and appreciate everyone's insights!

My bike has aluminum heads, had old copper head gaskets, and the head bolts are all the same length. From parts searches I've done on a supplier website it looks like two bolts per head should be longer? I also was reading copper gaskets are for iron heads, and aluminum heads had asbestos gaskets or in modern times teflon gaskets

Do I need to worry about the longer bolts? And should I get a teflon or asbestos gasket instead of copper?

On a related side note, a single fin on one of the heads cracked off long before I was involved. Should I worry about a single missing fin?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Aluminum vs Iron Heads and Proper Gasket/Bolts

Post by RUBONE »

Missing fins are a cosmetic issue and do not affect use. The long headbolts were originally in the holes for the motor mount on alloy heads. Personally I never use copper gaskets on aluminum heads and prefer the old asbestos type.
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Re: Aluminum vs Iron Heads and Proper Gasket/Bolts

Post by Pascal »

Same here; asbestos for alu heads..
Just give them a smear of grease or oil before installing, so they can set properly.
Quite often, field mechanics beat/ cut off a fin near the plugs, so they could remove and install plugs with normal spanners instead of OEM tools.
As Robbie mentioned; it's purely cosmetical and doesn't really effect cooling.
Personally, I like that "battle tired" look

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”