Dry cell battery and Generator Charging Questions

Dry cell or acid filled regular battery

All flathead topics
posum2
Bikes: 1942 WLC

Dry cell battery and Generator Charging Questions

Post by posum2 »

Hello folks,
I have a couple questions about battery type and charging rate after reviewing several of the excellent comments in the Forum.
I still have a 6 volt system in my 1942 WLC and replaced my old acid filled battery with a dry cell 6v suggested by the battery supplier.
Is this a good idea or am I advised to go back to the acid filled type maybe which has more reserve?

I have never tested the charging rate but intend to do that, I guess just at the positive and negative battery terminals when idling?
What volts and amps should I expect? I read that it should be about 2 amps.
If higher I read that the generator needs an adjustment?
With the new dry cell battery installed and the motor at idle, the 2 dash lights get very bright.
This seems to indicate the the charging rate is too high or that its the wrong type of battery.

I'm just finishing restoring this bike, have not ridden it yet. thanks for any help.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Dry cell battery and Generator Charging Questions

Post by RUBONE »

Not sure what you were told or what you might mean by "dry cell". Original dry cell batteries are non rechargeable and will not work with a generator system. If you are referring to a dry cell as a sealed battery that is a totally different set up. What exactly did they sell you??
posum2

Post by posum2 »

Yes, it is a sealed lead acid battery.
Power kingdom PS 14-6 6v 14 Ah
I have seen comments that some folks like the sealed batteries.
thanks for any help.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

posum2 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 pm Yes, it is a sealed lead acid battery.
Power kingdom PS 14-6 6v 14 Ah
I have seen comments that some folks like the sealed batteries.
thanks for any help.
Well, they don't need to be monitored for electrolyte level, they don't puke acid on the machine, even when laid over, in fact, they can even be mounted any way, upright, or on their sides, except up-side-down. What's not to like?
....RooDog....
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Post by Pascal »

Mmmm.....🤔

I've blown two sealed batteries in my WLA's.
It seems the oldfashioned battery is better suited for 'on-off' systems like on old Harleys.
There's no continuous flow like there is with regulated systems, but more peaky charge moments due to the cut-off.

But that's my experience..
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

The standard charging system in a WLA WLC is sourced from the 3 brush 32E generator. The 3 brush generator depends on being able to "dump" excess energy into the battery in the system to prevent system voltage rising to unsafe levels. In a standard "wet" lead acid battery, this means that at least some of the time, the battery is going to dissipate this excess energy by converting the water in the electrolyte into Hydrogen and Oxygen. In a standard lead acid, this means checking and occasionally adding water to the battery.
In a sealed lead acid battery, this means DEATH. They have chemical means to deal with a limited recombination of created oxygen and hydrogen within the cell. This process is overwhelmed by the overcharging encountered in a 3 brush generator system. The end result, the battery DIES.
So a sealed lead acid battery, or any sealed battery for that matter, is not a good choice for a 3 brush generator based system.
In case inquiring minds want to know.
DD
marrinan
Bikes: 1943 Harley 42WLA

Post by marrinan »

I have been using a gel cell battery in my 1943 42WLA for about 8 years. The first 5 years was with a Eagle Pitcher 6 volt 18ah battery after 5 years I needed to replace it, but they stopped importing them from China. It was smaller that the standard acid filled Harley battery so it fit into the battery box with room to spare. About 2 years ago I starting using a Power Sonic 6 volt 20ah battery, it did not fit into the battery box so I put it into the saddle bag and ran a cloth covered wire out of the bag, along the fender and into the hole on the bottom of the battery box and connected to the battery wires there. I also changed my 32E generator from a 3 brush to a 2 brush and changed the electronic cut out to a regulator. Before the generator change the WLA with the headlight on could not produce electricity to keep the battery charged correctly. After the 3 brush to 2 brush and electronic regulator change it runs great....
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Well ain't that just Dandy! Just built my battery with 3 Powersonic 7AH batteries. Always worked great in the 3 Duo Glides I put them in. This one is for a 44U and now it sounds like I need to rethink this. Thanks for the explanation!
posum2

Post by posum2 »

Hello, it looks like I'll be switching back to a 6v lead acid filled battery.
Can anyone suggest a source? thanks
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

Anything from 6V 6Ah will do fine, you only need to light the ignition really.
But if you'd like to install some hancy-fancy classic-looking $$$ battery...be my guest.
As long as it fits the batterybox..
Attachments
Screenshot_20210514-113955.png
Screenshot_20210514-113955.png (579.85 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Interesting option Pascal, Thanks for posting. It seems there are several manufacturers for this B49-6. Yuasa brand appears to be more expensive than some others. Is there a good reason for the price difference?
svkiwi
Bikes: 1946 WL

Post by svkiwi »

I'm gonna differ here...I have previously used Yuasa brand batteries in my WL and found they don't last too long...I assumed it was because vibration caused the plates to jostle around....anyway now use Motobatt , these are some yellow cased sealed battery, and I have zero problems.
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

The Yuasa battery is smaller than the inside of the box.
I use to fill the extra space under and around the battery with foam pads, so it is also protected somewhat against bouncing around.
My Yuasa's last 3-5 years normally..

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”