Powdercoat on Motors

All flathead topics
Steve48UL
Bikes: 48 Harley UL

Powdercoat on Motors

Post by Steve48UL »

I had my 48 ul rebuilt last year by a guy who has been working on Harleys since the early 50's. Had this basket case for 30 years and did the rest of the bike myself. He suggested having the motor powdercoated when I di the rest of the parts. Last night the motor partially siezed. Have not torn it down yet. Was this a stupid move to let them put powder on the motor. Thanks! [/img]
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Steve!

I did a ULH a few years ago, with heavily powdercoated cylinders.
.070" oversize at that!

(You wouldn't powder coat anything else on a motor but cylinders, would you?)

Since everything else was in proper order, it ran cool and strong here in Illinois, and apparently equally well for the owner in hot Florida even with a sidehack, since I haven't heard of any problems.

BUT...

You can expect the powdercoating to burn off upon the exhaust ports, so touch them up with heat paint. If you had castiron heads, then you will need much more paint.

Methinks blaming powdercoating for overheating is a diversion from other problems.....Suspect #1: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

....Cotten
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by pan50head »

I rebuilt my UL several years ago. I had my cylinders coated by a product supplied by Performance Coatings in Auburn, Washington. http://www.performancecoatings.com/ It was some sort of coating that they put on air-cooled cylinders that draws heat away from the cylinder. It is not the usual powder coating. It is flat black so it looks good. In over two years and about 2,000 miles, nary a spot of rust and no evidence of overheating. I have alumimum heads.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I have to agree with Cotten here, I experimented with powder coat on one of my flatheads and (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems so far.

I would check some of the other over-heating sources: lean mixture; either the manifold is sucking air or the carb is set wrong. Or the timing isn't right.

Partially seized? Are you getting enough oil in the right places?

I wouldn't blame the powder coat, I'd look somewhere else.

just my opinion.

mike
Hacksaw
Inactive member

Post by Hacksaw »

one case of my project motor is army green. not powdercoot obviously , but the army did paint them. i plan to powdercoat my cases green.
melvinjo
Bikes: 60 FLH

Re: Powdercoat on Motors

Post by melvinjo »

Powedr coat, not my choice: Ceramic coat, you bet
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Ceramic coating in WW2 US GI OD Green?
svkiwi
Bikes: 1946 WL

Post by svkiwi »

I had an Indian 741B, bored and stroked out to 750, with powder coated barrels. It never overheated either.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”