Desperate

All flathead topics
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Desperate

Post by RooDog »

I'm saying that the more one can do for one's self, the less one needs to depend on others. less money spent, and a lot less time wasted waiting for others to get around to doing the work....
A timing chest a is not major surgery, the only cost involved is the gasket, which if properly installed is often reusable.
I have been screwed by enough by (dis)"reputable" shops, to have taken the time and effort into doing my own work.
But it's your trip, you pays yer money, you takes yer chances.....
Best wishes....RooDog....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

bianese wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:10 pm I am still trying to figure out how to get the upper valve covers swapped out on a BTSV engine that has already been installed, buttoned up, and cranked. I had a "professional" build the engine and he installed VL top covers and shipped it back to me knowing it was like this. I know nothing about timing the valve train or valve adjustment. Can this be done w/out changing the settings it is at now. I have nobody anywhere close to me that works on the old bikes and my engine skills are very limited. Any ideas? Seadub
It is possible but tricky to do it with the heads on. With the heads off it is pretty simple, just time consuming. The issue with the heads on is that the valves can move up into the combustion chamber as the spring is compressed. Once the longer upper covers are installed it becomes even more tricky due to their longer length.
Again, heads off it is just take them apart one at a time, replace the upper cover and put it back together. Without loosening base nuts or anything other than the valve the tappets adjustment should be just what it was before, they don't need to be touched. And I don't know why timing gears were thrown into this mix as the cam cover never needs to be touched either.
It would require the correct upper covers, new upper cover to cylinder gaskets, and new head gaskets (unless they are copper in which case they can be annealed for re-use).
bianese
Bikes: Lots of BTSVs

Post by bianese »

Thanks Robbie, I was thinking that taking the rightside tank off and removing the heads would be the only way but am glad to here no adjustments will be lost on the valves. My next question is how do you get the valve retainers back in w/the upside down position? I have had a hard time getting them in properly on a removed cylinder much less fishing them up under the cover upside down. I have used cold grease but there will be little room when doing this in frame. Any suggestions? I am going to pull the trigger on this mess of a blunder as soon as I get my confidence up on the little retainers. As always, much appreciated! Seadub
bianese

Post by bianese »

Anyone?? Seadub
Kozy
Bikes: 47 U
75 FLH

Post by Kozy »

"The issue with the heads on is that the valves can move up into the combustion chamber as the spring is compressed."
To prevent the valves from lifting make a fitting from an old spark plug with an air hose fitting on one end, thread it into the head and pressurize the combustion chamber to hold the valve down. At one time these fittings were available from auto supply houses but I haven't seen one in years or one in the size needed for a BTSV. If you could lay the bike on it's side, on a surface that would protect the finish, it might help with installing the keepers. I know that sounds a little crazy but it's been done with old car tires covered with shipping blankets.
flat38

Post by flat38 »

The keepers are very easy to put back on using a small magnet on a stick and a bit of grease if needed to retain them temporarily.
bianese

Post by bianese »

Thanks for the replies. The heads are way too easy to take off and put back on to go to any lengths over that. The engine is in a softail frame so there is plenty of room topside. In looking at it, w/the valve covers installed and raised, there is little to no room to work underneath where the valve keepers need to go back in. I know this can be done inframe and maybe laying it over is what I will need to do. The valve spring compressor tool also takes up some space. I would love to talk to someone that has actually done this in-frame. Seadub
flat38

Post by flat38 »

I have done this in a motel parking lot on a 45 in a stock frame with stock tanks. I stuck a valve open on the freeway and limped to the nearest motel. I had only the tools in my tool roll. I removed the head and used 2 screwdrivers to pry the spring up to remove the keepers and put them back the same way.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”