Wondering about 1955 wheel-, rim- and tire-sizes ..... !

Wheels, hubs and tires
George57
Inactive member
Bikes: HD FLSTFI 100th anniversary pearl white and HD Panhead 1955 basket case to restore.

Wondering about 1955 wheel-, rim- and tire-sizes ..... !

Post by George57 »

Hi ! I recently bought a 1955 rolling chassis with a good Pan engine and tranny plus several boxes of parts like gastanks and fenders, but the heavily rusted rims were size 16 x 3.5" and need to be replaced. Bruce Palmer's and Greg Field's great books tell me about "5.00 x 16 wheels AND tires" but Palmer's book also mentions that all Pans had 16 x 3" rims. So I am wondering what was really oem back in the days, especially for DeLuxe Solo models as my bike came with a DeLuxe Solo seat; did all Pans have 16 x 3" RIMS being also 16 x 5" WHEELS, as rims are measured inside the wheel so without the wheel edge ? Or were there 16 x 3" wheels for some models/years and 16 x 5"wheels for other models/years ? And does a 5.00 x 16 tire both fit 16 x 3" wheels and 16 x 5" wheels ? Thanks for enlightening me on this subject, it will sure help me to make the right decisions about wheels/tires.
Greetings,

George (Lochem, The Netherlands)
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Wondering about 1955 wheel-, rim- and tire-sizes ..... !

Post by 1950Panhead »

55 panheads used 3" x 16" Kelsey Hayes wheels, measured on inside on rim.
5" x 16" tires were used.
Original wheels have the Kelsey Hayes logo, year, month inside.
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George57
Inactive member
Bikes: HD FLSTFI 100th anniversary pearl white and HD Panhead 1955 basket case to restore.

Post by George57 »

Thanks a lot Jerry, that's just what I needed to know !!! :D Maybe you can also tell me the type/name of the Coker tires for 1955 FL's ?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

I have used the Firestone blackwalls.
http://store.cokertire.com/catalogsearc ... /?q=500-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They also have white walls and the Indian zigzag tread.
George57
Inactive member

Post by George57 »

Mmmm, Bruce Palmer mentions Goodyear and Firestone but does not specify which brand in what year. Other sources mention Coker tires but also do not tell me what years these were used for new bikes. I suppose the HD factory just used the tire brand which was most available in certain months and years, or used several brands of tires in just one year depending on prices offered by the tire companies ? I could not find a tire brand in the riders manual for 1955 or in the september 1954 issue of The Enthousiast, presenting the 1955 models; it seems they did not mention tire brands deliberately because they already knew they had to make changes during the production year. Or am I wrong and am I missing something here ?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Coker tires are reproductions of original tires. They were NEVER supplied stock ( the company did not even exist then), they are merely for restorations or those wanting a vintage tread pattern.
The Goodyear and Firestone tires are not specified because they were used interchangeably by H-D. They would put on whatever they had in stock. If a certain type was requested by a dealer they may be able to supply them, but if none were specified you got whatever they had. And if you specified a certain type you may have to wait for your order if they did not have them. By the '60s it was pretty exclusively Goodyear on all models.
Robbie
George57
Inactive member

Post by George57 »

Thanks for explaining all this to me. The Goodyear tires seem not the best choice, handling the bike on our dutch small and windy country lanes. So I decided to go for the Firestone Deluxe Champion Blackwall tires. But first I have to look for two interchangeable 16 x 3.00 chromed rims or wheels, any ideas about brands with top quality steel and chrome ? And maybe also with stainless steel hubs and spokes ? Just thinking it might be best to spend a bit more on quality parts instead of needing to replace the wheels again when rust and loss of chrome strike fast and hard.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

the avon safety mileage tires are a good alternative.

and they are speed rated and dot approved.

john

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”