Cadmium plated spokes: buy new or redo?

Wheels, hubs and tires
ernietrucker
Bikes: 1957 Hydra Glide
1997 FLHR

Cadmium plated spokes: buy new or redo?

Post by ernietrucker »

Just wondering if anyone knows of a place to get cad plated spokes? Buchanan's just offers chrome or stainless. I've found some new in V-Twin. I have the originals from my wheels, they came out nice and nipples are in good shape. Is there a place to get these redone or is it worthwhile? Just wondering the best route to go. Any info will be appreciated.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Cadmium plated spokes: buy new or redo?

Post by PanPal »

I helped a buddy cad plate a set and in my opinion it was not worth the time and effort. They really didn't take the coating evenly either. first you have to bead blast the set, then acid wash them, then it takes a few spokes to work out how long you need to keep them in the solution. If you get a set of stainless spokes and glass bead them, they look a lot like cad for a long time. just my opinion.
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

I have heard that about the stainless also. That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If ya don't mind payin the long buck, try H-D. They may still be available but they probably won't be cheap....bosheff
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

Bosheff wrote:If ya don't mind payin the long buck, try H-D. They may still be available but they probably won't be cheap....bosheff
Thanks, I'll give that a try today.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Just get stainless and glass bead them. Looks close enough to cad and is allowed in AMCA judging. Bob L
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

I'm finding a little confusion in the parts book on spokes. The 1941-1984 parts book calls for 43042-40B spoke & nipple kit. Are these cad plated?
The 1957 Spare Parts book says 43032-40 is for 40-W & G models, 41-52-W models, 41-52- 45" Solo. This same book lists 43031-36 for 40-57-61", 74" & 80" twins, 40-52-W models, rear, 40-51 Servi-cars, front & rear.
Nipples listed as same for both spoke numbers in both books-430099-29. I am confused as I have found 66 of the 43032-40's at a dealership, don't know if they have the nipples though.
Please help, I am thoroughly confused! :?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Six different lengths...
Big twin 18" wheel (36-40).
Big twin 16" wheel.
Little twin 18" front wheel, two different lengths.
Little twin 16" front wheel, two different lengths.

All are originally cad plated, Vtwin sellss cad plated spokes.
Jerry
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Jerry nailed it, all those different part numbers apply to different diameter wheels and also to the front wheel on the WL and G models which had the brake drum laced into the wheel and used 2 different length spokes.

You can't go wrong with stainless but if you want them to pass AMCA judging or look OEM they have to be bead blasted. Buchanan spokes are top notch and made in the U.S.A., but they all have a little "B" on the head and they all come with the polished mill finish. If you have a good bead blasting cabinet, a good dust collector, and a lot of time and patience, then go with the stainless.

Cad plated spokes are available from many of the suppliers, including H-D, and are a much quicker solution. I recently laced up an old 16" star-hub with a set I got from Kurt at 45 Parts Depot, very good spokes, no problems.

Here are a couple pics of a set of stainless Buchanan spokes that I did for another project last year, they came out beautiful, but it takes about a day per wheel to buzz all the "B"'s off and then bead blast the spokes and nipples. After blasting you have to thoroughly wash them to get the bead dust out of the nipples and spoke threads. Stainless spokes also require a shot of the special lube so the threads won't gall when you lace up the wheel.

good luck,

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Jerry nailed it, all those different part numbers apply to different diameter wheels and also to the front wheel on the WL and G models which had the brake drum laced into the wheel and used 2 different length spokes.

You can't go wrong with stainless but if you want them to pass AMCA judging or look OEM they have to be bead blasted. Buchanan spokes are top notch and made in the U.S.A., but they all have a little "B" on the head and they all come with the polished mill finish. If you have a good bead blasting cabinet, a good dust collector, and a lot of time and patience, then go with the stainless.

Cad plated spokes are available from many of the suppliers, including H-D, and are a much quicker solution. I recently laced up an old 16" star-hub with a set I got from Kurt at 45 Parts Depot, very good spokes, no problems.

Here are a couple pics of a set of stainless Buchanan spokes that I did for another project last year, they came out beautiful, but it takes about a day per wheel to buzz all the "B"'s off and then bead blast the spokes and nipples. After blasting you have to thoroughly wash them to get the bead dust out of the nipples and spoke threads. Stainless spokes also require a shot of the special lube so the threads won't gall when you lace up the wheel.

good luck,

mike
Wow! Very nice. I'll probably go with the stainless or give 45 Parts Depot a try. If they are available through H-D, I can't find them. I work part time in a dealership and tried all morning. Everything we came up with was not cad plated. We have a set of 43042-40B in stock and they are not cad plated. Also found a dealer that had 66 of the 43032-40 and he said they were not cad plated (he described them as 'shiny'). If they are available through H-D, I sure would appreciate a part #. Thanks for your help- I appreciate it.
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Jerry nailed it, all those different part numbers apply to different diameter wheels and also to the front wheel on the WL and G models which had the brake drum laced into the wheel and used 2 different length spokes.

good luck,

mike
Oh yeah, btw, what is the 'special lube'? Just curious. Thanks again :)
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I guess the "special lube" is like Marvel Mystery Oil, nobody knows. Every set of spokes I ever got from Buchanan came with a little squeeze bottle of it, its really thick, about like 140 gear lube. Buchanan also packs a few slips of paper in the spoke set with some warnings about what will happen if you don't use it. I always do.

here's a scan of the packing slips and a pic of a set of blasted spokes and their little bottle of lube.

and, just thought I'd mention that the last set of new cad spokes I laced up had almost as much shine as a set of chrome spokes when I took them out of the package, once I got them laced up they looked fine.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Use anti-seize on the threads to prevent galling. Not just stainless but all. Bob L
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

forgot to mention that the cad spokes I got from 45 Parts Depot are only single swaged, larger diameter at the head and then a smaller diameter all the way down the length of the spoke to the threads. If you get the stainless from Buchanan you can have anything you want, double or single swaged, all you have to do is ask.

here's a couple more pics of the LE sidecar wheel I laced up a couple months ago. The hub with the first row of spokes shows the detail very well. The pic of the finished wheel on the truing stand shows how nice the cad spokes look after cleaning up with a little Windex.

mike
ernietrucker
1997 FLHR

Post by ernietrucker »

FlatHeadSix wrote:forgot to mention that the cad spokes I got from 45 Parts Depot are only single swaged, larger diameter at the head and then a smaller diameter all the way down the length of the spoke to the threads. If you get the stainless from Buchanan you can have anything you want, double or single swaged, all you have to do is ask.

here's a couple more pics of the LE sidecar wheel I laced up a couple months ago. The hub with the first row of spokes shows the detail very well. The pic of the finished wheel on the truing stand shows how nice the cad spokes look after cleaning up with a little Windex.

mike
Thanks a lot. I may go ahead and get those 66 'shiny spokes', the 43032-40's. Surely I can find 14 more. Oh yeah, Then I've got to find 80 nipples! Thanks again, you have been very helpful!

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”